Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] - KDE Partition Manager in 9.10 disappeared?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] - KDE Partition Manager in 9.10 disappeared?

Before I upgraded to 9.10, I had a 9.04 (KDE 4.3.2) box running. The KDE Partition Manager used to live in "System Settings", but is now gone.

Could someone please tell me how do I reinstall it? I've heard that it is no longer supported?!? What do we use for partition management now?

Re: KDE Partition Manager in 9.10 disappeared?

Are you referring to the old "Disks & Filesystems" utility? (the one that worked half the time, for half the users)?

Depending on what you are intending to do, there's Gparted for disk partitioning, there's Dolphin for file browsing and file management, and there are other things for various purposes (filelight to see the usage graphically, etc.).

Comment

Hey dibl,

I've used gparted in the past. Then in a previous post here, you pointed me to the KDE manager. But I don't have gparted or kde partition manager as an install choice at all...

A bit confused.....

Comment

Again, I'm not sure what you want to do ...

I find myself using Dolphin for almost everything but actually partitioning and formatting disks, which of course is the domain of gparted. If you open a partition (as listed on the left side), you can right-click in the white space and choose "properties" and learn all about it. Of course USB media will also show up -- you can right-click and "Safely Remove" to eject them. If you know what you're doing, Alt-F2 "kdesudo dolphin" will let you do such tasks as changing the permissions on mount points, and things like that.

If gparted is not installed on your system, you can
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gparted
        If you want a graphical depiction of partition utilization (and don't care to configure a conky), there's filelight.

HTH

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] - KDE Partition Manager in 9.10 disappeared?

Just looking for a partition manager...

After sniffing around for a bit, it appears that Synaptic must not be up to speed on 9.10 yet. I did an install of the KDE partition manager using KPackageKit.

Thanks dibl!!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] - KDE Partition Manager in 9.10 disappeared?

Hmm. Even in my Ubuntu 9.04 OS, Synaptic finds partitionmanager.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X