Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable and keyboard no go

Another way to disable desktop effects from LXDE is
    Code:
    kate ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
    And check the compositing section, make sure it is disabled (enabled=false or disabled=true, can't remember which way it goes).

Another recommendation is to force a filesystem check on next reboot as I mentioned above I think (maybe you did it already)
    Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    If that fails, maybe we can get the binary driver to run (Warning: it can be painful)

And if all that fails, I think you'll have to either live with LXDE or reinstall from scratch for now. We are running out of ideas!

But please try these things one by one and report. Cheers!

Comment

Re: Please help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable and keyboard no go

Well I can open System Settings, and open all options EXCEPT Desktop, >
      I checked kwinrc and it already has compositing: Enabled=false
      and I already had did the file system check but I did it again.

I'm out of ideas too, it seems a reinstall would be the way but what if even if I reinstall I get the same problems?
      It's weird for me too that after all we did it didn't change much.

Ok if I choose to reinstall, which kubuntu should I download I used uname -a and it shows me:

2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Comment

The AMD Turon X2 you have is 64 bit, isn't it? You'll get better performance overall with the 64 bit version of Kubuntu. You can try the live CD before install. Or, to be safer, you can install on a usb drive, play with it for a while, and when you feel comfortable you do the actual install.

I have the strong feeling that some basic package in your system got corrupted at this point (I was hoping for something else, but we tried it all).

In any case you'll be happier with the 64 bit version, it will be faster for many things!

Comment

Well my deepest thanks, I think we did a lot, but I kept trying so I can learn more, and be prepared for events like this.
          Oh and one last question, since this is my first time using kubuntu I gave home more space than root,
          and I didn't knew that the packages I downloaded would be installed on root:
          is it possible to resize my partitions if I select manual disk distribution during install?

e.g. I eliminate all partitions (except where windows is) and then I create swap, home and root again (I already backed up what I had in home). Is it viable?
          Again thanks I greatly appreciate your assistance, I'll research more thoroughly how to use this OS.

Comment

Hey, my pleasure!

I am not sure if the installer allows you to choose sizes of custom partitions, I would hope so, but I haven't done it. The one thing that does work is to install gparted from the liveCD (if it's not there). You can even resize existing partitions under certain conditions: some filesystems only allow to change the end point, some are more flexible, etc, but gparted knows all that and allows you to do it in a nice GUI, of course only allwoing safe operations and warning you otherwise.

I would recommend that: first create the partitions the way you want them (I'd recommend ext4 for / and /home), and then when you run the installer.

Have fun!

Comment

He he he hey, finally I had the time to download karmic and install, it went smoothly and even better than when I installed 9.04, even upgraded to KDE 4.3.3 and no probs, and installed the FGLRX for my video card, I resized my partitions by deleting all of them and making them again, now I'm downloading all the programs I had before. Just had some problems when placing any plasma app on the desktop but it was automatically solved when upgrading KDE, uff!!!!
              Well, I think I can put this as solved, but since I haven't used forums so much how do I do it, jejeej

Comment

Just return to your first post in this thread, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable, keyboard no go

Happy ending. This thread should be kept as an example of positive attitude. You had a problem, you respectfully asked for help, you tried many things, you were always grateful for the help, and you never complained abut the developers, us, etc This is only fair since the software we are all using is largely the resut of altruistic contributions of folks in their spare time, and all the support we get and give here is out of good heart.

In any case, thanks for being so nice to us, and hope you stick around. People like you make Free(dom) Software advance ...

Comment

Working...
                  X