Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable and keyboard no go

Ok, there was a typo in these two commands. It is --reinstall with two "-". Also, when editing the file ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc, you need to use an editor, perhaps "pico ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc" or similar.

Here is what I propose:
    1. get a light desktop environment. I am typing this from LXDE, it is like a lightweight KDE. Please do this:
    * reboot in rescue mode
    * "sudo apt-get install lxde"
    * "sudo rm /etc/x11/xorg.conf"

2. Reboot, and choose to login into an LXDE session (not a KDE session)

Now you willl have a working desktop environment, and you can fix things from there, launch firefox, etc.

Can we start with that? We'll be turning in circles otherwise. Once you do that, we can do step by step to fix KDE, but you'll have something similar anyway to do your University work.

I'll try to stay logged into the IRC channel some time tonight, if you are back feel free to stop by ...

Comment

Re: Please help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable and keyboard no go

OK I'M BACK!! had a busy day

Ok I tried again sudo apt-get install --reinstall kde-core,
      but it tells me: "Couldn't find package kde-core"
      I wanted to look for it using apt-cache search kde-core but it
      doesn't finds anythind I tried only with kde, kde- but it's a big list
      and it passes too fast to read, with kde-c it only finds
      language-pack-kde-.... packages.

I did what you suggested and the only thing different was in sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      to sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak because I renamed it previously.

Ok now I'm in lxde, when choosing login I noticed there also was a icewm, I tried it
      and works fine but it says debian on the start menu, I think I accidentally installed
      I really don't remember, but well lxde is working ok. So well let's get kde up again

Comment

Excellent

1st I would move my .kde again , maybe with sudo because you may have screwed it up when you ran startx and changed permissions.

Code:
        cd ~
        sudo mv .kde .kde.backup
        Now, reinstall kde packages. This command will show you installed plasma packages:

Code:
        dpkg -l |grep plasma |grep ii
        I would pick the ones that makes sense and reinstall (the more basic). Something like:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install --reinstall kdebase-plasma libplasma3
        You can do the same matching "kde" instead of "plasma", and reinstall as many basic kde packages as possible. Once you reinstalled a bunch, you can try logging out and in, try KDE, if it fails back to zero, start in LXDE, rinse and repeat.

But don't kill yourself, there was a new KDE release today, and I am sure it will be packaged for Kubuntu shortly. I have a hunch that _that_ will solve your issue (something got corrupted on your disk).

By the way, another thing oyu may want is force a file system repair on the next boot, simply run this:

Code:
        sudo touch /forcefsck
        We'll get this going, no question about it

Comment

Ok I did what you said and was able to get in KDE bu the same message "Kwin isn't stable" appears but now I have a second option to choose for window manager: openbox

Not sure how it got there but it makes it work a l'il bit similar to kwin.
          The attachment I putted shows the error messages I get, they're about kwin and apport-kde.
          Also if I go to System Settings->Desktop, it closes abruptly and sometimes after a while, a "systemsettings" crash notice just like the ones I attached shows up.
          I think at least with this openbox (have no idea what it is, but I'm glad it lets me type ), I can manage to keep working and get closer to solve this. Thanks again for your help, I'm also glad to learn about this OS, I see your point of understanding this OS better.
          From what I know, the kernel and the GUI are not related/connected like windows, what I want to say is, if GUI crashes kernel is ok, but if kernel goes kaputt I'm really screwed up.

Comment

Ok I did what you said and was able to get in KDE bu the same message "Kwin isn't stable" appears but now I have a second option to choose for window manager: openbox

Not sure how it got there but it makes it work a l'il bit similar to kwin.
            The attachment I putted shows the error messages I get, they're about kwin and apport-kde.
            Also if I go to System Settings->Desktop, it closes abruptly and sometimes after a while, a "systemsettings" crash notice just like the ones I attached shows up.
            I think at least with this openbox (have no idea what it is, but I'm glad it lets me type ), I can manage to keep working and get closer to solve this. Thanks again for your help, I'm also glad to learn more about this OS, I see your point of understanding this OS better.

Comment

From what I know, the kernel and the GUI are not related/connected like windows, what I want to say is, if GUI crashes kernel is ok, but if kernel goes kaputt I'm really screwed up.

Ok I couldn't upload the images, file is too large, will try later right now gotta go.

Comment

Hi

Openbox got installed by LXDE. It is a Window Manager, one of the components of a Desktop Environment like KDE. They all talk to the X-Server.

I would work on LXDE for now for a day or two and wait for KDE4.3.3 to be packaged for Kubuntu, let's go from there

Comment

Ok will wait, so I do the same reinstall procedure to install the newest KDE when it comes out?

Comment

Even simpler, you'll add a new repository, refresh the sources and just install the updates. It will overwrite anything KDE related, I would hope that this will do!

Comment

Ready to go
                      http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.3.3

Comment

Please help, after upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, kwin unstable and keyboard no go

wow that was quick jeje, just a little question previously in jaunty tried to update KDE but I was afraid I could ruin it because it said I should verify the integrity of these packages by installing the archives GPG key, I did what they told me:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A
                        gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -

and this is what I got on the terminal:

gmafz7@Gmafz7-Laptop:~$ gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A
                        gpg: solicitando clave 8AC93F7A de hkp servidor keyserver.ubuntu.com
                        gpg: clave 8AC93F7A: clave pública "Launchpad Kubuntu Updates" importada
                        gpg: no se encuentran claves totalmente fiables
                        gpg: Cantidad total procesada: 1
                        gpg: importadas: 1 (RSA: 1)
                        gmafz7@Gmafz7-Laptop:~$ gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -
                        [sudo] password for gmafz7:
                        OK
                        gmafz7@Gmafz7-Laptop:~$

So it is okay just to add the repository to kpackagekit or synaptic??

Comment

I just did it withought the key and had no trouble in kpackagekit but I cant read your output.

I would think it would be fine though and you seam to have LXDE working so ..............

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ok thanks vinny, I'll try, I hope it works.
                            lmilano te agradezco muchisimo, sos de miedo con ayuda asi si dan ganas de seguir!!

A translation for the terminal output would be something like this:

gpg: requesting key 8AC93F7A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
                            gpg: hey 8AC93F7A: public key "Launchpad Kubuntu Updates" imported
                            gpg: DID NOT found totally reliable/trustworthy keys //This is why I'm undecided to proceed
                            gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

Comment

I updated KDE but I'm sorry to inform that it's the same
                              Again kwin isn't stable and I must switch to openbox in order to operate.
                              Could it be because I haven't activated the privative driver for my video card?
                              mmm what could it be?

Comment

This is very weird, can you run System Settings from LXDE and disable Desktop Effects? Or at least verify if they are on? The default drivers are actually more stable than the ATI binary ones (they just lack 3D accel, and some other advanced features).

Comment

Working...
                                X