This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept help

I recently installed Kubuntu making my first transition onto the Linux Scene being your average windows user before.

Everything was going great untill i installed a certain program with adept, cant remember the name. Whilst installing it hanged at which point i closed adept and tried again (probably the mistake in all of this). low and behold, when i restarted i can only use it in read-only mode due to 'another process using the packaging system database', i checked through task manager and i shut down everything i could think of that was associated (e.g. looked for apt-get, adept etc) and still wouldnt run. i restarted the computer, several times now, and still no change. I really need for the entire process/database to be reset, or the name of which process is still using the database so i can shut it down.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Re: Adept help

If you have recently moved to Kubuntu do you have very much to lose by reinstalling?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

hi,

Try this:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a

Comment

arochester

Im trying to avoid reinstalling everytime something goes wrong and trying to learn a bit. but your right, if worse comes to worse re-installing would have to be the way out.

caserio

Well it fixed the Adept problem, so great and many thanks, but now, since i have added that line, when i reboot it tells me the composite manager crashes twice on startup and will therefore not be loaded (translucent desktop etc) shall i just cut my losses short and reinstall or is this easily fixed?

Thank you both for your comments.

Edit -> The exact problem is

Composite extension not found
        You must use XOrg ≥ 6.8 for translucency and shadows to work.
        Additionally, you need to add a new section to your X config file:
        Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Enable"
        EndSection

Comment

It seems that you have tried to use translucency/shadows without having the proper video driver installed and the proper options enabled. That's why it's giving you that error everytime you start up.

To disable translucency/shadows, Launch System Settings > Desktop > WIndow Behavior > Translucency tab and uncheck "use translucency/shadows". log out and log back in to check if it worked.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
          X