This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ecollege

I need to get Java runtime enviroment working on my laptop im using kubuntu 9.10 64 bit and Java 6 is installed I realy need this for a course I,m doing I downloaded it and it is a bin file what do I use to open these files

Re: ecollege

It is much safer to install the one that is packaged with kubuntu, I have these

ii sun-java6-bin 6-15-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
    ii sun-java6-jre 6-15-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
    ii sun-java6-plugin 6-15-1 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

Comment

ya i have them installed but it still wont work it is telling me to install it manually so what do i use to open .bin file
      Attached Files

Comment

What exactly are you trying to perform? Possibilities include installing the Java plug-in in Firefox or compile Java programs. What you need to install will depend on your goals. If you want to compile Java programs, then pick option 2.

1. Open Konsole and pick step 2, 3 or 4 depending on your goals.
        2. sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk (full jdk)
        3. sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre (java runtime)
        4. sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin (browser plug-in only)

That may not be enough for some tools and programs. Often they need the JAVA_HOME environment variable set in your .bash_profile. For the record, a bin file is an executable. Most of the time you need to set permissions on the file to execute and run it from a terminal. Since you are unfamiliar with where to properly install packages manually and how to work with bin files better you avoid it and stick to the package management in Kubuntu. Firefox won't know how to deal with a bin file.

UPDATE:

Oops, sorry for the typo in my original post. I fixed the package references.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          Initializing package states... Done
          Writing extended state information... Done
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun-6-jre"
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun-6-jre"
          No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
          0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
          Writing extended state information... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading extended state information

ally@Ally-PC:~$ sudo aptitude install java-sun6-plugin
          Building dependency tree
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun6-plugin"
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun6-plugin"
          Building dependency tree

ally@Ally-PC:~$ sudo aptitude install java-sun6-jdk
          Building dependency tree
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun6-jdk"
          Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "java-sun6-jdk"
          Building dependency tree

Heres what happened and that still didnt work I'm trying to install java runtime environment its a plug in that lets me stream a course from ecollege

Comment

that package is in the medeabuntu repo I think you nead to enabel the repo then try to installit

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That's odd. Try the following and paste the output. If you can't find it your sources.list file needs updating. I did a fresh install and the necessary repo was enabled when I added some codecs requested by Konqueror if I remember correctly. Vinny got it right, just add the repository from the package manager then you can install it from there or command line.

LOL, I didn't notice but my quip rhymes with your nickname. A new tag line for Vinny... "Vinny got it right."

Code:
              sudo aptitude search java-sun6

Comment

Notting happens

Comment

You need an additional repository enabled. First, navigate to Applications/System/Software Management to launch KPackageKit. Then click Settings/Edit Software Sources and make sure everything is checked for Kubuntu Software. Apply any changes and return to the command line and try "aptitude search sun-java6" to view available packages. if you still get nothing we may tell you to install Synaptic next. It's the best package manager available but it's Gnome and not installed by default. KPackageKit is better in 9.10 but I still have some problems with it.

Comment

do this

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list; sudo apt-get -q update; sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring; sudo apt-get -q update

then the sertch for your package.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

I'm fairly certain Java is not in medibuntu. It's in the mutiverse repository because of its copyright. I do not have medibuntu repositories enabled on my system and it's in my list. I do have multiverse enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
                        I'm fairly certain Java is not in medibuntu. It's in the mutiverse repository because of its copyright. I do not have medibuntu repositories enabled on my system and it's in my list. I do have multiverse enabled.
                        OOP's your rite ....my bad I just checked and shure enuff it's multiverse

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

I have noticed that I have difficulty running java with Firefox. With Opera however, it works. I just had to point Opera to the proper java location.

Mike
                          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I've never had any problems with Java and Firefox. The only issue is sometimes the Java plug-in fails to install properly. If that occurs all you need is a strategically placed symbolic link or copy the library from the Java install directory to the correct location under ~/.mozilla/. I'm not sure about 64-bit. That's one of the things I'm finally testing for the first time, 64-bit and Java. It's a few extra headaches but everything is working so far on my system.

Comment

here it is none of what ye have said to try has worked
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X