This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing things using terminal

Where can I learn how to do this? I did it with firefox the other day (i found a little tutorial on how to do it) and it was so simple, i loved it.

I found some linux programs i wanna run on my machine, but am at a loss of how to install them [ i can't believe how uncapable I am of doing the most simple tasks on a linux machine ]

what's the sudo and root stuff in terminal, can I find a nifty little guide that helps tell me what all this stuff means?

thanks!

Re: installing things using terminal

If you know the name of the package you want to install, and it is available through one of the repositories you have active, then from the command line you would type:
    sudo apt-get install package_name
    Type man apt-get in a console to learn more about apt-get.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hello again ^^ ok let's get to it:

U can install programs by downloading the ubuntu .deb package of that program and dubble clicking then pressing install. (If u are running an x86_64 system download the right x64 pakage) . Also u can use KpakageKit (the software manager to install stuff). Just start it up, write name of software in search bar and press enter. it will give u a number of software packages with descriptions if u click on them once. When u found the right 1 for u, just click on the download icon to the right of it (an arrow pointing down i think) and press apply :P follow instructions for install and u'll have it on your Kubuntu in no time.

Now for learning: http://kubuntuguide.org/Jaunty ^^ that should do it, u can find anything here even how to use the terminal. Using the terminal usually happens when system breaks and u need to fix something. :P so don't worry about Konsole too much. It's all point and click nowadays.

Comment

Root and sudo.....

in a unix system there is a user "root" that can do what ever they want. (like admin in windows but w/ real power), if you would like to use some of that power(as only root can preform some actions such as installing programs) you can do so buy using the sudo command before other commands (stands for super user do, this command is just su in some distros). that my short explanation of root and sudo,

as for installing packages (programs) the best program to use (imho) is synaptic, its very easy to install, open a konsole (alt+f2 for run box by default) and type in konsole, then once you have that konsole open type in the command
        sudo apt-get install synaptic

it will ask for you sudo password (and this is by default the same as your login password) then it will say hey i need these packages to make synaptic work can i install them too.. a big Y to that one and in a few min you can now install packages using synaptic package manager (look for it in your Kmenu).

although there is nothing really wrong w/ moonscar's dl the .deb and install it method. i would use this option last, since it can cause issues such as not autofetching dependencies.. and causing some other weird things could happen. in other wards use a package manager
        that being said the "proper" way to install a .deb file is to run the following in a konsole
        sudo dpkg -i <deb's full path or name if in cwd>
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Commands at Konsole: Beginners
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg203063
          End of SECTION 3:
          APT Commands A Summary Sheet
          -> APT is "Advanced Packaging Tool "
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X