Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just upgraded to 9.10 kubuntu (curiosity)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just upgraded to 9.10 kubuntu (curiosity)

Hi i got a question...got installed in this computer windows and kubuntu but when i choose wich option to boot it appear to options for kubuntu the difference is that one's got different kernel than the other one...one is like kernel 28. something and the other one 31. something what is the difference between them? and why is it in the same partition 2 OS ?? or is it the same OS but loading different kernels just curiosity 2 know cause doesnt bother me in the meanwhile....but i like 2 have everything organize... thanks

Re: Just upgraded to 9.10 kubuntu (curiosity)

Yes, same Kubuntu, but with your choice of which kernel to use when booting.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"2.6.31-14-generic" is the current Karmic kernel. "2.6.28-16-generic" is the most recent Jaunty kernel (even if it says "Ubuntu 9-10" in the Karmic /boot/grub/menu.list). There's no reason to believe that the *.28-* kernel won't work in Karmic, if you have trouble with the new one.

Comment

Oh thanks a lot

Comment

Well ok i got two kernels so....how can i delete one and only leave the newest?

Comment

Two answers to that question:

1. It is very wise to leave one older kernel on the menu list and available to boot. If it turns out that the newer kernel does not run part of your system correctly, or if an update breaks it, you will still have the older one to boot.

2. You can use a package manager GUI (kpackagekit or synaptic) to mark the older kernel for removal, and click "apply", and it will soon be gone. Be careful!

Comment

thanks dude its just that i already now that this new kernel works fine on me and i dont like too have to kernels its just that im like that lol my bad well thanks for da tip.

Comment

YOU'LL BE SORRY

But, if you insist on doing something that you've been told is a mistake, just open Synaptic, search for the kernel that you want to remove, mark it for deletion and regret it later when you need your backup kernel.

SUCKAH

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                  YOU'LL BE SORRY

But, if you insist on doing something that you've been told is a mistake, just open Synaptic, search for the kernel that you want to remove, mark it for deletion and regret it later when you need your backup kernel.

SUCKAH
                  haha ok whatever u say but i think is better to have that mistake and maybe have it more organized and risk it to have less **** on my computer, and yeah maybe il f u c k it and then it wont work....well ill learn from that mistake so another time ill now what to do....thats how i always learn by mistakes 8) and if u never risk u never gain.... :P

Comment

Working...
                  X