This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia

I was messing around with nvidia and installed wrong package now all im getting is command promt how do i uninstall it or roll back

Re: nvidia

Maybe your xorg.conf file is wrong.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=73038

Comment

What version of kubuntu are you using?

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

9.10 i have installed wrong driver how do i role back

Comment

Just boot to a console (recovery mode), change directory to /etc/X11 and rename xorg.conf to xorg.conf.corrupt or some other name. Reboot and the system should generate a default xorg.conf file. You can also execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" in console to generate a default xorg.conf file. You can also try and fix X from Recovery Mode. It's one of the menu options in Recovery Mode.
          linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Do you have GRUB or GRUB2 installed? If you upgraded from 9.04 you should have GRUB installed. If you did a fresh install you would have GRUB2 installed. Either way, you need to boot into a recovery console and repair X.

GRUB: Press the 'Esc' key to enter menu

GRUB2:
            How to Boot to the Recovery Mode w/o a Menu Option
            If you have Grub 2 set to boot without displaying the menu at all, hold the SHIFT key down until the menu displays. (In Grub it was the ESC key.)
            Press any key once the menu is displayed to 'freeze' it. Then arrow to the kernel you want to boot.
            Press E
            Scroll to the end of the "linux /boot/vmlinuz...." line. If displayed, remove "quiet" and/or "splash". Add the word "single" to the end of the line.
            Press CTRL-X to boot to the Recovery menu.
            Mike

More info here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
              Just boot to a console (recovery mode), change directory to /etc/X11 and rename xorg.conf to xorg.conf.corrupt or some other name. Reboot and the system should generate a default xorg.conf file. You can also execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" in console to generate a default xorg.conf file. You can also try and fix X from Recovery Mode. It's one of the menu options in Recovery Mode.
              Newer versions of X do not use xorg.conf

Mike

Comment

That's not true. The xorg.conf file overrides detection. It's not there by default but it is still used and necessary.

Comment

ok i done what monte said and it got as far as the loading for kubuntu but when the loading bar filled it went back to command promt like (doss)

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you did. I linked another thread that has a working xorg.conf file for NVIDIA under Karmic. I configured mine with a NVIDIA 9400M. I don't want to give you any more advice without knowing your hardware. Older NVIDIA cards may require an older version of the proprietary driver. I downloaded the latest release from the NVIDIA site and installed it. The latest version was not in the repositories.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107239.0

Comment

its an old card not sure exactly which is there no why to roll back like windows i couldnt bare having to reinstall

Comment

We need to find out your card type. To start, check if you have an xorg.conf file. If you do, delete it and reboot. Hopefully that will get your GUI back. If not, don't despair, it should be fixable. Then we need to find out something about your hardware. From a terminal type "lspci" and paste the output here. We need to know the card type.

Comment

how do I check to see if I have that file

Comment

the card is geforce2 GTS/PRO

Comment

I don't think the new driver will work with that one. I'm not certain but it's not listed in the supported devices for the 190.36 driver. I'm not sure what version you need. That will require some research on your part. You could also try the open source driver. Every driver version is available at the second link I pasted.

Supported devices for the 190.36 driver (the latest):
                              ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-a.html

All NVIDIA drivers for Linux:
                              ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/

To zap the xorg.conf file from a Terminal:
                              Code:
                              1. cd /etc/X11
                              2. sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.corrupt
                              3. sudo rm -f xorg.conf
                              4. sudo shutdown -r now (reboot)

Comment

Working...
                              X