This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install crash: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock

I got this message after trying to downloading then trying to install.

When I run this sudo command suggested.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

I still get the same error.

Please help.

Re: Install crash: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock

First question - what burn speed did you use to make your CD? If you didn't set it as low as possible, please review #1 on the FAQs in my signature, and follow the guidance to make a new CD.

Comment

I did not download/burn a CD. I just tried to upgrade from 9.04 from the Kubuntu site to my laptop.

I was using wireed connection and was at 94% when then install failed. After install lockup and system re-boot, this situation started.

My guess is that the install failed and left something locked but I am far from an expert and do not know how to remove the process that is stuck.

I tried ps -e and see the processes running. I have also tried killing them all. No luck.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comment

It's okay to delete the lock file (it is used to keep two processes from writing to the dpkg admin directory at the same time and your process failed leaving it hanging around) then issue from a terminal

sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

or you can use aptitude

sudo aptitude update
        sudo aptitude full-upgrade

That should fix it.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Thanks! I will try this when I get home.

Comment

Working...
          X