This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login help

I just had a computer donated and it has kubuntu on it. I was trying to erase the password, but ended up erasing the user name. Now when I start up the computer it goes to the login page, but the password doesn't work. What do I do?

Re: login help

hi

try to reboot and choose Rescue Mode, then choose the option to use a root (admin) shell. From the command line, simply do this:

http://nixcraft.com/getting-started-...mand-line.html

(basically, run useradd)

Good luck, please let us know how it goes

Comment

I won't be back at the office until tomorrow, but I will definitely give that a try and let you know. Thanks a lot for the response!

Comment

It is still not working. It now has 'sweta' as a username option, but the password doesn't work with it. Any idea of what to do next?

Comment

I am glad we are making progress. Mmm, didn't useradd ask you to choose a password?

Comment

i went back into rescue mode and added a password. Is it possible to get out of rescue mode without Ctr. Alt. Delete or manually shutting the computer down? Is it possibly not saving it because that is the way I am exiting rescue mode?

Comment

Code:
              sudo shutdown -h now
              will shutdown the box but I think even the way you were doing it should have saved the password!

I'm starting to think it (the box)was donated becos of problems.

but you could try the adduser comand instead of useradd.. adduser will ask for a password befor exiting ....or should.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If you have just been given the computer than there is nothing on it that you will want to keep. The easiest way out is to do a new install.

Alternatively look at Psychocats "How to reset your password in Ubuntu" on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by jtspackers
                  i went back into rescue mode and added a password. Is it possible to get out of rescue mode without Ctr. Alt. Delete or manually shutting the computer down? Is it possibly not saving it because that is the way I am exiting rescue mode?
                  It is [Ctrl][D] I think. But in any case, the passwd shouldn't have been lost. How exactly did you add a password? Remember it's case sensitive.

Comment

[quote=arochester ]
                    If you have just been given the computer than there is nothing on it that you will want to keep. The easiest way out is to do a new install.

how do you do a new install without logging in?

Comment

how do you do a new install without logging in?

Comment

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...4-110794.shtml

For Kubuntu, just download the Kubuntu ISO instead of Ubuntu -- everything else is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                          Originally posted by jtspackers
                          It is [Ctrl][D] I think. But in any case, the passwd shouldn't have been lost. How exactly did you add a password? Remember it's case sensitive.
                          i typed in adduser and then a username. It then asked for a password and for me to retype the password. It di that and it said it was successful, but still won't let me login.

Comment

i got hold of the guy who gave us the computer and he is going to get me the install cd. From everything I am reading, it looks like I will have to go that route unless you guys have any other ideas. Thanks a lot for all the help!

Comment

You are welcome!

One more idea is to do what you did before but use "adduser" instead of "useradd". I read that there are some differences, and perhaps "adduser" will get it straight. Worth the shot, prolly a 10 minute deal. Just make sure to choose a different username than before.

Comment

Working...
                              X