This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copmiz and Emerald

Other than placing an entry in the autostart directory, how do you start Emerald and Compiz on startup?

Re: Copmiz and Emerald

Well, being Linux, as you can imagine there are multiple ways ....

Try this, for starters:

Shut down all running packages and reboot. With a clean desktop, open a Konsole and enter
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    That should change the window borders from kwin decorations to emerald. If so, minimize (do NOT close) that Konsole window.

Now open a second Konsole window, and enter
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    That should run Compiz. Minimize (do NOT close) this Konsole window as well.

If you have both Emerald and Compiz running at this point, simply take advantage of the "memory" of the X server, and shut down your system. Reboot it, and see if it remembers what you left running. If all is good, it will come back up with Compiz and Emerald running, and it will stay that way as long as you do not shut them off before a shutdown.

If, on the other hand, this does not work for you, then install the fusion-icon package, and reboot your system, and run fusion-icon. It will place an icon on your panel and you will use it to start/restart the window manager and change the window decorator.

Comment

Thanks dibl...

I can get the session to change during operation. But a restart does not replace like I'd expect. I have to go back and manually apply the changes after reboot.

[EDIT] - This is without the autoscript... I am making the change using Fusion Icon

[EDITx2] - I'll just stick with the autostart script. That's the easiest....!

Comment

system_settings ->default applications -> window manager set it to compiz (thats how i have done it since jaunty was in beta)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Is Emerald supposed to start when Compiz does? When I do as you've suggested the Compiz does start, but all my windows loose their borders and titlebar.

Comment

Yes, "supposed to" being the operative phrase.

Compiz is a "window manager" and Emerald is a "window decorator". If you only have one or the other running, then ......

When you see borderless windows, then probably Emerald has crashed. If you have beautiful window borders, but no cube, then Compiz has crashed.

Fusion-icon has menu items to reload or change either or both. Play with it, and see what you can come up with as a setup that will survive restarting the X server.

Comment

as dibl said, it should work that way,

it does on my machine, although sometimes i have to start emerald manually but not very often
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X