Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Solved) Software Sources/Repositories, Should I keep default?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) Software Sources/Repositories, Should I keep default?

Hi, I'm fairly new to linux. Is it a good idea to fool with the repositories?

For example, should i check off main, universe, multiverse, and restricted?

AND

What about the kubuntu updates? Like the important security, recommended, pre-released, and unsupported stuff?
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Re: Software Sources/Repositories, Should I keep default?

Hi

Every question is an important question

This really answers it all much better than I could:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Updates are also discussed there. I would neither recommend the proposed updates, nor the unsupported ones. At least initially. You might need one or the other as a workaround in some very rare situation, but in principle they are not as safe.

Enjoy Freedom!

Comment

Here is a link to the linklist > FAQ: Repositories

What are the repositories, Main, Restricted, Universe, Multiverse, Backports, Medibuntu, PPA, etc ...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

One new to Linux/Kubuntu should locate and read as much as they can about how Linux/Kubuntu works. This is not meant to imply that one has to become an expert - I'm not - but one should become familiar with 'the basics.'

I suggest that a new user to Linux/Kubuntu, who after installing and ensuring that things 'work' - video, sound, Internet connectivity - that one 'leaves things alone' while they begin to get a feel for their new OS. Take notes! They will come in handy. Explore your new OS. Take notes! If you do something and get a result you either didn't expect or that does something you don't want/like - STOP. MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT YOU DID WHILE IT'S STILL FRESH IN YOUR MIND. - then undo the action/selection. If you don't know how or what to do, STOP! Come here and ask for assistance. Be specific and provide us with details about your system - PC type (desktop/laptop), CPU type (Intel/AMD, ...), Video Card/Graphics manufacture/model, amount of installed RAM, version of Kubuntu you are running, and the specific problem and what you did that created it.

Tweaking system settings/configuration files before one knows/understands what doing so will do is a sure-fire way to end up with a borked system.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: (Solved) Software Sources/Repositories, Should I keep default?

Thank you for the help. I'll be sure to read up and properly inform myself before venturing into unknown territory. I will also ask questions if I need assistance. Once again, thank you for your quick response time.
          Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            One new to Linux/Kubuntu should locate and read as much as they can about how Linux/Kubuntu works.
            When it comes to locating and what to read, you may find guidance in the post HOWTO find Kubuntu's documentation. If it does not prove helpful to you then please post in that thread so the article can be improved.

Tweaking system settings/configuration files before one knows/understands what doing so will do is a sure-fire way to end up with a borked system.
            If you have experience with virtualizers such as VMWare or MS VirtualPC, then you should definitely try Kubuntu in a virtual machine before fully committing to it. It is a great way to learn and make mistakes without worry of messing up your main system.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
            X