This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, have kubuntu installed, some questions

thanks for the help in my other thread guys. now.... i've got a few problems.

first, how do I change desktops in kubuntu? i'm on a laptop, idk if that makes any difference. it's really cool how you can scroll through them and i wanna show it off to someone else.

secondly, i can't get my internet to connect. its wireless verizon dsl, and when i'm typing in my WEP key it's not connecting, any help here?

also, my cd drive isn't working. I can't get the cd to eject when i push the button...

help please.

that's all for now, more to come i'm sure thanks!

nick

Re: ok, have kubuntu installed, some questions

Originally posted by sngehl01
    also, my cd drive isn't working. I can't get the cd to eject when i push the button...
    On the Panel (bottom of your screen), right-click on an empty area and select add widgets. Scroll down the list to Device Notifier (I believe that's what it's called). Click to highlight it and then click on Install. This will add the device notifier widget tothe panel. Click it and it will show connected devices. You'll notice an arrow type icon to the right. Click it and choose Eject.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are 22 FAQs in the link in my signature -- it looks like you will need them.

On the "panel" which in Windows World is called a Taskbar, there are graphic representations of your desktops -- 2 or 4 squares. If you click on one, it will take you to that desktop. There are keyboard shortcuts, but it depends on whether you have enabled Desktop Effects and stuff like that -- I can't state for sure which keyboard shortcut will switch your desktops. Try Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2, etc.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys. i've already messed something up in my set up, i can't log into my fricken laptop, ugh

guess i'll run killdisk again and just reinstall kubuntu, it's the only way i know how to fix anything lol

thanks

Comment

That sounds kinda drastic -- what does it do when you attempt to log in?

Comment

well... when it was booting up, it asked me for my login and password, which i entered the only thing that i know it could have been

it kept saying it was wrong.

i'd do it again and tell you exactly what it said, but i already started the killdisk, lol.

Comment

During installation, you have to enter 3 things:

root password
              user name
              user password

If it's your personal laptop, use the same password for root and yourself. Then that is the one and only password that the system needs to do anything.

Comment

ok, well, do I even have to have a password at all? I don't wanna have to enter a password everytime I turn on my computer.

also, help me through the install process please.

Ok, I put disc in, i install kubuntu and set everything up, right? right.

well, it gets to my desktop, and the desktop folder is there, and it has a button that says "install" do I have to click it to finish installation or anything?

after i install, should i eject the cd, and restart? i may not have installed the OS corrrectly.

thanks.

Comment

Heh heh -- yes, take a deep breath.

OK, when the Live CD has finished booting, all that means is you have a running instance of Kubuntu Linux in memory. You have not installed anything.

So, if you want to install it, you click the "Install" icon and you plan to spend 25 minutes following some on screen direction. Have you planned where on the laptop (i.e. what partition on hard drive) you want to install Linux on? Do you have 8 or 10GB of free space available?

Comment

well, the first time i didn't even boot it from the cd, i just installed it, which is why i thought it was weird i saw an "install" option on my desktop...

I don't plan on partitioning the hard drive, i just want to use the whole hard drive for kubuntu.

i'm just doing it to toy around with. I had been having vista problems, so i killdisc'ed the hard drive (it wouldn't boot anyway).

Now, I do plan on (later this week or next) partioning my hard drive, and installing vista and kubuntu. i'm just messing with kubuntu now to 1) become familiar with it and try to figure out how it works and 2) i'm bored, lol.

i only have a 120gb hard drive now, I'm gonna buy something closer to 350gb to install vista on and partition.

thanks!

Comment

Cool.

If you have time and inclination, I would encourage you to take 10 minutes and download and burn a Parted Magic Live CD, from here:

http://partedmagic.com/

Then boot Parted Magic, and use the partitioner to make 3 partitions:

20GB for "/"
                      2GB for swap
                      all the rest of it for you data

Then restart it and boot the Kubuntu CD, and install all of Kubuntu on the 20GB partition -- it will find swap by itself. Let it install Grub on the master boot record of the hard drive.

That should get you a pretty robust system -- you can throw data on the "DATA" partition, and link it into your /home/user folder with symlinks, and it will be safe.

Comment

uhm, i dont' understand why to do it that way, could you explain why to do it like that? what's the benefit of doing it like that? why shouldnt I use my whole hard drive to install kubuntu?

thanks!

nick

Comment

Creating a separate home partition in Ubuntu during installation

The reason it is desirable to have at least two separate partitions - one for root ( / ) and one for home ( /home ) is for your safety. The root partition will contain the operating system itself. The /home partition will contain all your user settings. Should anything happen to the OS, you can reinstall and your personal stuff - what you have in /home - will be intact.

Comment

wow, that is really nifty, thanks!

I don't HAVE to do it that way do I though? it's just highly recommended?

does it make it harder to save and find stuff, and things like that?

i'm not gonna do that tonight when i install kubuntu, since i won't be saving files to it for now, just using it to become familiar with it, but when I do a permanate install (once i install vista on a larger hard drive) then I will do that, thanks!

so, when i install vista, then kubuntu, i'll want to make a partition for vista, and then like 3 more partitions for kubuntu?

thanks

Comment

Read through the link I gave you. Psychocats is a good resource to have a link to. It deals with Ubuntu, but most directly applies to Kubuntu.

No, you "Don't" have to do it that way. If you do however, you will ultimately find that you have done yourself a very good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X