This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when I try to install Kubuntu I get this error message, please help

Hey all, i'm trying to install Kubuntu on my machine.

The machine is a Toshiba laptop, A205-s4707 model http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5946617 there is a link to the exact specs of that computer.

I just ran killdisc on it, so it's a blank hard drive now.

I downloaded kubuntu-9.04-alternate-amd64.iso and mounted the image to a disc like I was supposed to. When I go to install it, I get this error message.

This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for you CPU.

what do I do now? thanks a lot

Re: when I try to install Kubuntu I get this error message, please help

Hey there, The only problem I could see is that your computer is using an Intel core 2 duo processor, and you are trying to install the AMD 64 version of Kubuntu. You can't do this AMD makes a 64 mb processor and the Core 2 Duo isn't, it's only a 32 mb which is coded as X86. So go back to the site, and download the X86 version and your problem should be solved. I hope this helps if not. Let me know.

Below I have attached the address which contains the site that covers your specific processor if you have any questions.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29752

Comment

i'm downloading the other .iso file, it's named

kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

should that do it?

thanks!

nick

Comment

I believe that will do it. Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

appreciate the help, thanks.

Comment

Actually what he has is a Core Duo which is 32bit. The Core 2 Duo is 64bit. The "kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso" is what you need.

Comment

Working...
            X