Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set up a wireless connection?? plz help going nuts!!!!(solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up a wireless connection?? plz help going nuts!!!!(solved)

Hi i got a problem on my kubuntu 9.04, i just installed i was a windows user that just got new in kubuntus stuff...my computer its a laptop dell vostro 1500...:

So here it goes, my problem is that i want to connect to a wireless connection but when i go to system and then choose network and then network management in the wireless tab i just can find any hosts or acces points!!!!! plz i just cant find anything to connect and trying to type and set it up with the konsole it said when i tipe iwlist wlan0 scan: nothing found wtf!!!!! i got to my dual boot on windows and finds everything, im doubting that might be my wireless card, its in my laptop already installed permanently is it that kubuntu doesnt recognize my wireless card if its so how can i make it detectable?? plz help!!!!!

Any ideas or help to me are greatfull thanks

By the way i wrote down the command lspci that i read before in another post with kinda the same question and this is what i got :

kira@Kira:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller(rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
    kira@Kira:~$

Re: How to set up a wireless connection?? plz help going nuts!!!!

Hi Kira

It seems like a broadcom card. Can you please go to KMenu -> Applications -> System -> Hardware Drivers and see if you can activate the driver for the card from there?

Can you get a wired (ethernet) connection in the meantime? You may need to be connected to the internet to do that (or have the install CD inserted, I am not sure)

Please let us know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Hi Kira

It seems like a broadcom card. Can you please go to KMenu -> Applications -> System -> Hardware Drivers and see if you can activate the driver for the card from there?

Can you get a wired (ethernet) connection in the meantime? You may need to be connected to the internet to do that (or have the install CD inserted, I am not sure)

Please let us know how it goes
      Ok il do that in the mean time( KMenu -> Applications -> System -> Hardware Drivers...and look if i can tell u in a min) but i cant get a wired connection i can still boot in windows and connect to internet wireless either way if a i need to put anything into linux i can just download it from windows and then put it in my kubuntu hdd and run then kubuntu right? thanks 4 helping me by the way i appreciate it

Comment

ok cool i done that already and now my wireless card works XD!!! i can detect wireless connections now...it was so dumb my bad....noobs fault XD...well now i got this question i already choose my wireless connection and it has wep password i plug in the password(im sure its correct the pass cause im connected to it in windows and i cracked it with backtrack 3) and it says connecting but doesnt connect my question is this do i have to put manually all the other settings?? like dns gateway ip and all that **** no right it detects atumatically?? thanks

Comment

Great, can you please mark this thread as [SOLVED] (just edit the title in the first post) and post a new thread with the new question? Feel free to link the new thread from here so we find it.

Comment

Working...
          X