This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz vs. KDE Desktop Effects

In preparing for Karmic 9.10, I've been toying with releases since Beta4. I've never spent much time on the Desktop Effects that come installed in KDE 4.3.

I'm wondering if there is any benefit between Compiz or the default Desktop Effects? I understand that it's mostly personal preference. But I'd just like to know which is the better eye candy.

Re: Compiz vs. KDE Desktop Effects

I read something the other day -- you can probably find it with a crafty Google search -- that indicated that *buntu's Desktop Effects are an implementation of Compiz compositing. When I started with Kubuntu in 2006, Beryl was the compositing thing, and so I have stayed with it when it became Compiz Fusion, alongside staying with the downloaded Nvidia driver installer instead of the jockey-kde installer. I have at times got jockey-kde to install an Nvidia driver, but of course never their Beta driver, and I like to test the new stuff. The few times I've attempted to enable "the cube" in Desktop Effects, it won't work, and I suspect it's because I'm not running the nvidia-glx packaged driver. Consequently, I've ended up staying with Compiz as a separately installed package, and Emerald for the window decorator, and it continues to work perfectly on Karmic 9.10, so there's one point of view for you to consider.

Comment

My (personal) problem with compiz is that I find the window management in compiz to be confusing. probably because I haven't taken the time to learn it. (I'm holding my breath till someone comments on that last line...)

Anyways, I like to have my windows open up at specific places/sizes/desktops, and find that the KDE 'right click on the titlebar' solution works very well. you lose that ability in compiz.

Also, FWIW, I have used both nVidia drivers (default 'buntu, and DL'd from nvidia.com), and have had no issues with the cube or any desktop effects in KDE.

just my 2 cents worth.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

You can always install the compiz and emerald packages and pick your flavor of the day. I sometimes switch between the two of them. KDE makes it easy to pick the one you want from System Settings/Default Applications/Window Manager. That has always worked for me.
        linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

^^ honestly with KDE 4.3 compiz is not needed. KDE has all the useful features compiz could ever offer and Kwin does not crash when i load up a game...-.- compiz needs to be disabled or i can't load wow for instance or alt+tab or the whole thing freezes.

KDE 4..3 is complete and stable enough now to forget about compiz on Kubuntu imho. ^^ looks cool 2

Comment

Thanks to all who responded....

I guess one of my favorite effects is the flames in Compiz. Is whatever comes with a stock install of Kubuntu the only effects available? Can more be added?

Comment

for me its not so much about effects but useabilit,

i find kwin's effects to be lacking, mainly the ability to set mouse input, just one example. desktop zoom i have to use crtl+ + or - , in compiz i can use meta+ m.wheel up /down , same with the cube plugin,

but for now i will use kwin for my desktop effects (at least untill karmic is out of testing phase) then it will be back to compiz.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Compiz vs KDE Desktop Effects

If I select desktop effects simple compiz config settings manager > and ENABLE DESKTOP EFFECTS > the effects work, but upon rebooting the system the settings are not stored and must be repeated.

Suggestions?
                Thank you for your time

qu1nn

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance

Is whatever comes with a stock install of Kubuntu the only effects available? Can more be added?
                  If you do not enable Desktop Effects on a stock installation, and you have a graphics chip and driver that supports compositing, then you can install Compiz and have your effects that way (from the Compiz plugins). That's what I do.

You change the "Multiple Desktops" to only 1 (in system settings > Desktop) and then you use settings > Compiz Config Settings Manager to set the horizontal size to 4, and you use the plugins to choose your effects.

There is a list of compiz packages that you need to install to do this -- they are all in the repo, and there have been prior posts on "how to".

Comment

Re: Compiz vs KDE Desktop Effects

Originally posted by BatsSeva73
                    If I select desktop effects simple compiz config settings manager > and ENABLE DESKTOP EFFECTS > the effects work, but upon rebooting the system the settings are not stored and must be repeated.

Suggestions?
                    Thank you for your time

qu1nn
                    check system settings default applications, be sure that compiz is set as your default window manager
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X