This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(another) Dual boot question

Firstly, hello, newbie in the truest sense of the word, sad to say I'm an I.T professional that's had next to no exposure of Linux based OS's, but I'm looking to change!

Secondly, sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times, I had a search, but after some looking around, figured I'd just ask.

Thirdly, my question, I'm from a Windows background 100%, but I really want to get some working knowledge of Kubuntu, and like a lot of people in my shoes, want to run the two side by side for a little bit. I'm currently running Vista 64bit, on a HDD that isn't brimming with free space. So I was wondering, I have this spare SATA HDD knocking about the place, and instead of installing kubuntu on a separate partition on the same HDD as vista, can I have the two OS's installed on two different HDD altogether?

If so, what would the best structure be for sharing of files between the two Os's? I like to do a lot of photography in my spare time, so how would you best create an environment that both Vista and Kubuntu could see the files, if I want to do post processing work on them? Leave the HDD vista is on as it is and partition the other HDD, with one partition for Kubuntu and another with all my pictures (and other files) on, so both OS's can access them regardless of which I booted into?

Which kinda leads me onto my last question (for now! ) Do the latest versions of photoshop and lightroom work on Kubuntu?

Many many thanks for any and all help you can offer, I’ve put my current specs below, incase anything obvious is problomatic for Kubuntu?

Memory:- 2 * OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800MHz 4GB RAM (2x2048) Kit 5-4-4-15 Nvidia sli edition’ (8GB in total)
    CPU:-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Mono:-EVGA nVidia 650i Ultra So
    Graphics:-MSI 9600GT 512MB GDDR3

Re: (another) Dual boot question

Hay nickhopkins07 .........and welcome to Kubuntu

you most sertenley can install Kubuntu to a second HD no prob.

and you can test your hardware just by runing the cd live with no changes to your system.

and Kubuntu will work with windows file systems out the box so having a comon storage partition is not a problem eather

the bace system will fit in verey little space (cant remember the amount but less than 3 gig I think) but I usualey give 10-15Gig for / (root) and set /home on a diferent large partition + about 1-2 Gig's for swap

hears a good starter read befor ya get gowing .........
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

and

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091607.0

and for fun

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

and some one's allwase hear for more Q's

O ya and thars lots of good image apps hear as well I'm no expert with them but thar hear.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi nickhopkins07.

Yes, you can easily dual-boot Windows on one HD and Kubuntu on another HD.

See SECTION 6 of this for the principles (and the apcmag link given there):
      How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

-----------------------------

As for setting up you data to be shared by both OSs, dibl has a good method, I can't find his posts on it right now, but I copied his last post on it and saved it, here it is:

dibl's solution to data management

Experience has taught me that the strategy to deal with this situation begins long before time to do the synchronization. In other words, by the time the question becomes "which files" it is too late to make it simple.

If one puts data on a separate partition, (not mounted as /home, mounted as a unique data directory), and you do that on both/all computers, then data synchronization and backup is a simple matter of synchronizing only the data partitions.

So, if you install your OS in a modest-sized partition that is sufficient to permit such things as downloads of ISO files, you might choose 12GB or 15GB or something like that. Install it all there, including /home.

Your data can then be stored in a single large partition, or more than one if necessary -- depending on how much you have and how often it changes. I very creatively label it DATA. It has directories on it for MUSIC, VIDEOS, IMAGES, and DOCS. After the OS is installed in its partition, you need to make the DATA mount point in /mnt or /media, as you wish, and then edit /etc/fstab to add the partition and mount point. You use symlinks from the DATA folder to your /home/user folder, such that your /DATA/MUSIC appears is in your /home/user/Music folder, etc.

Now the question "how to sync" is obvious and easy -- you sync the DATA partitions only. The risk of messing up KDE (or Gnome or Xfce) settings is zero.

I realize this is not a direct answer to the question that was asked, but I hope it elevates the possibilities for future installations.

-----------------------------

Also, this may come in handy:

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

And see the link VINNY gave you re the TOP 20 FAQ (also by dibl).

I don't know about your other questions (Photoshop, etc., but someone here will know)

Welcome to the forum.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hello and welcome to GNU/Linux , welcome to Kubuntu and :P the Ubuntus.

Now for answers:

1. Yes u can leave Vista on 1 hard drive and install Kubuntu on the other. (I recommend using the latest beta release candidate or wait another 6 days for the final release of 9.10 as it is the best Kubuntu). To my knowledge grub boot loader should detect Vista on the other hard no prob. Make the linux file system ext4, it is faster

2. Photoshop and lightroom works with W.I.N.E. Wine Is Not an Emulator is a free and open sourced program available for all operating systems (this includes OSX for apple). U can find it at wine.org google it or in the repositories of Kubuntu, just do a search with the package manager

3. It is best to leave your files on the Vista hard drive which is probably NTFS partition right? GNU/Linux can read NTFS file systems and access the files, which then u can copy over to the linux file system (ext3, ext4 recommended) if u want to or feel the need to . While Kubuntu does detect windows file systems Windows (Vista) will not detect Linux and can not access the system. Also note that if your want to dual boot them on the same hard first install Windows then Kubuntu. While Kubuntu plays nice and detects the win installation windows will not do the same.

4.There is a free and open alternative to Photoshop called GIMP. GIMP is maintained by Canonical the corporate part of Ubuntu and u can find it via the package manager also for easy download. Try it out, its a bit different but not bad.

5. Try out Picasa from google, it works natively on GNU/Linux http://picasa.google.com/linux/ <---may be good for your photos.

best of luck, if u have trouble u can find help here on the Kubuntu forums or over on the Ubuntu forums also.

PS: I almost forgot. Nvidia makes proprietary drivers for the Linux OS. Kubuntu will detect your video card and ask you to activate the proprietary driver for it, plz do so and restart to have functioning video card. If it does not notify u [lz run the hardware manager or what it's called now :P so it can detect and activate it .

Comment

Wow, you guys are helpful!

Thank you very much for your replies, all really helpful, and it's great to know it should all work ok, so I'm gunna give those links a read, then take the plunge! I'm glad photoshop and lightroom 64bit should work as well, I'm hoping I wont need to change my work flow a great deal when it comes to the photography as it's something I'm fairly pleased with.

But thanks again for the pointers, and the the welcome.

Comment

remember to install wine and do a reboot before installing Photoshop. Wine is sort of a compatibility layer between linux and the windows based programs especially Photoshop. U can use wine also to run windows programs on any apple OSX as well ^^ in case u want to/need to.

Installing should be as easy as:

1.Install latest wine.

2.reboot

3.Load Photoshop disc or copy over install files then click install

4.follow instructions

.5 Use Photoshop for first time, then close and open again.
            http://www.wine-reviews.net/applicat...with-wine.html <--here a link on how to install photoshop

I still recommend trying out google's Picasa just for fun, it's 1 good piece of software.

Another solution would be "Crossover Office", which is technically wine with support.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7770280571.html <---here is the link for how to.

on a side note: if u ever get a virus on windows and your files r in danger, make sure u back up your files by logging into linux and copying them over. :P worked for me a couple of times with my videos. :P then i started cleaning windows as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by moonscar
              remember to install wine and do a reboot before installing Photoshop. Wine is sort of a compatibility layer between linux and the windows based programs especially Photoshop. U can use wine also to run windows programs on any apple OSX as well ^^ in case u want to/need to.

Installing should be as easy as:

1.Install latest wine.

2.reboot

3.Load Photoshop disc or copy over install files then click install

4.follow instructions

.5 Use Photoshop for first time, then close and open again.
              http://www.wine-reviews.net/applicat...with-wine.html <--here a link on how to install photoshop

I still recommend trying out google's Picasa just for fun, it's 1 good piece of software.

Another solution would be "Crossover Office", which is technically wine with support.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7770280571.html <---here is the link for how to.

on a side note: if u ever get a virus on windows and your files r in danger, make sure u back up your files by logging into linux and copying them over. :P worked for me a couple of times with my videos. :P then i started cleaning windows as usual.
              Can Picasa cope with Directories full of photos without trying to Index an re-order them ?

Tim

Comment

^^ picasa automatically indexes directories upon startup :\. It will ask to scan your drives and there is no cancel button. <.< tbh that can be frustrating esp if u have a very large amount of photos to handle. Switching off indexing should be possible dough...i just don't know. Maybe some 1 else does? Ask google ^^?

Comment

Originally posted by moonscar
                  ^^ picasa automatically indexes directories upon startup :\. It will ask to scan your drives and there is no cancel button. <.< tbh that can be frustrating esp if u have a very large amount of photos to handle. Switching off indexing should be possible dough...i just don't know. Maybe some 1 else does? Ask google ^^?
                  Shortly after launch I asked them and they said :- no plans.

I don't have any indexing problem as my directories and sub-directories are just fine for 10,000s plus photo of wildlife. I just wanted a easy to use photo editor.

Gimp is great but like Photoshop a steep curve and lots and lots to remember !

So I put it in Chocolate Teapot application type and said goodbye to it.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X