Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT suggestion for new users, don't rush the upgrade to Karmic.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMPORTANT suggestion for new users, don't rush the upgrade to Karmic.

Hi,

The next version of Kubuntu is coming in a week as of this writing. Here is some suggestion.

If you have a working system, and particularly if you use third party software, such as "hardware drivers" for wireless, graphics cards and such, you may want to wait a little to upgrade.

The rule of thumb is to wait a month after the release to do the upgrade. Why?
    • Some times NVIDIA and or ATI release new drivers for the recent release a little after the release date
    • A wealth of bugs in the release are usually fixed in the first few weeks.
    • The ubuntu servers will be slow, really slow the first few days (there are millions of *buntu users by any reasonable estimate).

Of course, you can always try a liveCD, even if you plan to do an upgrade (which is always do) as opposed to a fresh install. However, the liveCD will not have all these third party applications installed.

Of course it is up to you do, Linux gives you as much freedom as there is. This is just an honest recommendation to make your life easier, especially if you are a new user.

Mods and Admins, I suggest that either this post or a post along these lines is pinned here in the New User Forum, for the next few weeks. We always have early adopters breaking their systems because, well, it is too early, but they have no experience to dig themselves out.

Thanks
    Leo

Re: IMPORTANT suggestion for new users, don't rush the upgrade to Karmic.

Good advice. I always install a new release to its own partition, and migrate over to it gradually.

Comment

Yes, what I do when I am disciplined is similar. I clone the / from one partition to another one, make sure that I can boot from the clone, and then upgrade the regular partition. If some things don't work or need a little polish (say, third party software, etc), I use the clone partition for a while while I iron things out in the upgraded one. Of course this is a little advanced for new users, so I didn't want to recommend it here.

But point well taken!

Comment

Only 2 days to the Karmic release. Bumping this post

Comment

That's a really good idea as (maybe it's just me), but I've seen a lot of posts about Karmic in development. More so than other releases. I have no idea as to how many of those are new user related though.
          Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Ignore for 3 months then ask a lot to see if the time is well spent installing it on a new hard drive. Keep the old OS intact in a very safe place !

: )

Tim

Comment

Me?

I installed Kamric Alpha 4 as the sole OS on this Sony notebook and update it as the updates arrive. It is running perfectly.

My other laptop, running Kubuntu 9.04, has been running perfectly for months. Then, a weird looking file appeared. Look in the Jaunty 9.04 Forum for a post with a subject line which starts with "i\036\003\036\377\377....
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Karmic's runing just fine for me as well and was had by doing the update-notifier-kde -d thing from 9.04 JJ it was a perfect upgrade with no trouble and all my setings came thrue intact.
                sence then I do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                evey day untill 3-4 days ago and now Kpackagekit shows me updates thrue the notifacations and jobs widget (the i icon on the panel) every thing I use regular even 3d and cube work perfectley!!! ............. so far

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X