X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Machine in a console?

Hello everyone.

I need to now if there is a virtual machine (runs an OS in it (that's how I understood my task) ) that runs without X.

I am doing something like a cloud simulation for university. Tried making the original OS to control all other processes via apache and php.

Unfortunately apache could not open VirtualBox, as it could not open X or something like that (X was already running for a different user).

Is there any other FREE virtual machine than VirtualBox that I could try?
    The client OS will only run apache + php + another process, so it doesn't need to run X in it (I think)

Hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance.
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Re: Virtual Machine in a console?

can't you just run apache on your machine? its a backround process so you will never really see it run ... idk if that work for you or not. but i thought i would just suggest it.

i think as far as running a vm within in a console, i think that might present a small problem because every vm program i have used expects X to be running. i don't think that you can run X on more then one console at a time either.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Virtual Machine in a console?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question but I'll give it a shot. I use VirtualBox and it can run headless without X. I don't personally run Apache but I do run Tomcat and Glassfish under Arch Linux in headless VMs using bridged networking and access them from my host environment which is Kubuntu.
      linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Working...
      X