This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing dual boot please.

I wanted to try Kubuntu without installing it on my work computer.
    Well as things go when I got to the Reboot Required screen I selected "Help me boot from CD option", bad move.
    Now it always comes up with the dual boot option, how can I remove it and put things back.
    It's Windows Xp Professional.
    Thanks!

Re: Help removing dual boot please.

There are two kinds of Linux ISOs. One which has an install option only and one which has the LiveCD option.

IF your ISO was the LiveCD option then all you had to do was boot the CD and let it take off automatically. It would default to English and then boot into the LiveCD. When you quit a LiveCD it will ask you to remove the CD and after you do that it will reboot into the existing OS on the HD. NO CHANGE was made to the HD.

BUT, if your ISO was an install variety and you selected the first option on the screen after it boot up, then you've installed Linux, not run it as a LiveCD.

When you power up (do a cold boot) what are all of the options on the boot screen?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Emil, the installer gives you clear warnings that it is installing an operating system. The liveCD also allows to install, but it is very explicit of what it is doing, if you don;t click on it you don;t install.

Please remove the CD, reboot, and tell us what you see (i.e., GreyGeek's suggestion). (Chances are your CD is still on and you are booting from the CD?

If you really installed it, the easiest thing to do is to edit the boot loader and make it to boot windows by default.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I did edit boot.ini and removed the C:\wubildr.mbr = "Kubuntu" entry, now I'm not prompted for an OS selection .

I think I have the Live CD, the opening menu has:

Demo and full install
        Install inside windows
        Learn more

I selected Demo and full install which leads to the Reboot required menu which has:

Reboot now
        I want to manually reboot Later
        Help me boot from CD

I selected Help me boot from CD.

I was not aware that it would give me a dual boot option, I just thought it would go into the demo.

It added a wubildr and wubildr.mbr file in c:\ which boot.ini called.

Should I remove those two files now? Is this all that's been added?

Thanks again!

Comment

Our pleasure!

I see what happened, you accidentally selected the second option (install within windows). This installer is called Wubi. Here are the instructions for removing it

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Uninstallation

Please let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

Comment

Aaaa now we see what youv done ............and that's instaled kubuntu INSIDE of windows.......
            http://wubi-installer.org/
            however I'v never done this ....but from what I'm reading you should be abel to go to add and remove programs in windows and remove what youv done

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OOPS sorey lmilano

thare goes my happey post finger agin ..............LOL

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Fortunately I let it install far enough that it had an entry in the "Add or Remove Programs" utility, it's all gone now.

Wouldn't life be boring without noobs?

Again, thanks for your help guys!

Comment

VINNY: Things are getting slow these days, LOL!

Comment

BTW,
                    I did select "Demo and full install", at least I think I did.

Comment

Originally posted by EmilG
                      BTW,
                      Yes, I am sure you meant to. But nothing that you describe makes any sense if the selected option was the first, and it all makes sense if it was the second one. So, either you miss typed, or there is a huge bug in the installer (not impossible, but really unlikely)

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                        BTW,
                        Yes, I am sure you meant to. But nothing that you describe makes any sense if the selected option was the first, and it all makes sense if it was the second one. So, either you miss typed, or there is a huge bug in the installer (not impossible, but really unlikely)
                        I'm sure you're right, I must have. Big duh on my part!

Note to self: Don't select install when trying to run a demo !!!

Thanks

Comment

Thank you for your kindness We hope to see you again some time in the future!

Comment

I'm sure you're right, I must have. Big duh on my part!

Note to self: Don't select install when trying to run a demo !!!
                            Hey, EmilG, we recognize these things because we've made the same mistakes ourself. "Experience", as you know, is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X