This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem running make

Hi, not really a noob but just installed dapper and was trying to setup ndiswrapper for my wireless usb stick. I downloaded ndiswrapper followed the directions, but when i typed make i got a bash make command not found. what did I do wrong? Never had this problem before.

Re: problem running make

Hi,

It's because you need to install the meta-package build-essential which is coming with every (almost) needed commands to build something...
    If you don't have access to the net, you should be able to find it on an extra cd (someone told me on a post)

Cheers

Comment

ok, the problem is where do i get the build essential  and everything i need to go with it? And i guess its pointless to ask why these are not included on the install disk. Also, i have now found that commands like 'lo', wlan0, etc are also not responding! help!!!

Comment

If you have the Dapper Alternate Install CD, you could get build-essential from there.

The reason why it isn't installed by default is that most "regular" desktop, to which Ubuntu is trying to cater, users don't need it. If you do need it, it's readily available from the web or the Alternate Install CD.

There are, however, discussions ongoing right now as to whether to install build-essential by default or not. One of the greatest cons, they say, is that it might be a security risk.

As for the commands, are you sure they're commands? I haven't encountered those. Maybe you are referring to the ifconfig command, that displays the available/enabled interfaces?
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I was having the same issue and after installing the build essential package I got the following error when running the make command

root@brian-laptop:/home/brian/ndiswrapper-1.17# make
          make -C driver
          make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brian/ndiswrapper-1.17/driver'
          Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build;
          give the path to kernel build directory with
          KBUILD=<path> argument to make
          make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brian/ndiswrapper-1.17/driver'
          make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas on what needs to happen next?

Comment

Got through my issue - I needed the source and the headers for the kernel installed and a link to it from the referenced /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build in the error.

Works great now.

Comment

Hi!

Can you tell me how did you do that in details?
              I'm a newbie.
              Thanks!

Comment

THe Punk way (when if havent internet acces):

go to:

(in other machine .....)

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/s...able&arch=i386

look for: /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build directly in this page:

download the dependent packages like kerenel headers ... (if u havent it).
                download every package that is dependent of other.

burn it, mount the disk or usn in linux,
                n then:

sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
                install all the packages.

Comment

Working...
                X