X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom panel screwed

Hi,

I have been trying to get used to kubuntu for the last 2 months, unfortunately I messed up the bottom panel. Is there any way to restore it to it's original state short of a complete new install?

Thanks
    Bob

Re: Bottom panel screwed

Hi,

The easiest way is to rename the kde folder, but you will loose all your customizations:

1. Logout
    2. Login on a "failsafe" session.
    3. Type this in the terminal:

Code:
    cd ~
    mv .kde .kde_backup
    Then, log out, and log into kde. That should do. All your old settings are in .kde_backup if you need them. The new ones will be regenerated in .kde

Comment

The same as lmilano offered, just the other way

1. Press Ctrl+Esc, kill plasma, your desktop will disappear
      2. Press Alt+F2. It will launch KRunner, run dolphin from it and rename .kde directory in your home. System will create the new one.
      3. Run plasma from KRunner.
      You will get fresh desktop like after upgrade to the new version and you will lose some settings, if you have done some. You can save something from the old .kde, for example kmail files.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Have you tried just right-mousing on the desktop and choosing "Add Panel"?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Without having to rename (or delete) .kde you can do aslimilano or josefko suggest but go to .kde/share/config and rename / delete:

plasmarc
          plasma-appletrc

and maybe also:
          plasma-desktoprc
          plasma-desktop-appletrc

You will have to reset the desktop to your liking but you will keep all your other .kde configurations (kmail, kontact, kalender, addressbook, etc)
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Powerbob
            Hi,

I have been trying to get used to kubuntu for the last 2 months, unfortunately I messed up the bottom panel. Is there any way to restore it to it's original state short of a complete new install?

Thanks
            Bob
            As GreyGeek said, you could just right click on the desktop and choose "Add Panel".
            Patenting software as bit pattern manipulation algorithms is absurd because you cannot patent mathematical algorithms.

Comment

Working...
            X