X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Hardware support for Windows in Virtual box

Hi all.

I´ve got a dual boot install now, but I´m planning on ditching WinXP for good, and keep Kubuntu as my main OS. However, since there are a couple of apps I need to use, and 1 particular printer/scanner (Lexmark X2350) that does not work on Kubuntu, I was wondering if I could install Windows on a virtual box, and run the software, as well as use the printer there.

So, the question is: How does Windows manage hardware when in a virtual box? does it rely on Linux for access to the hardware? Or does it access it directly? Broadening the question, how about USB devices (web cam, for instance, or 3G dongle)?

Do you think that I could run WinXP in a virtual box and be able to use the scanner, for instance?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Frank.

Re: Hardware support for Windows in Virtual box

I have this exact setup here. Everything that has USB seems to be passed through directly to the virtualbox (after a bit of setup, of course). My printer is connected via USB as well, and works with the vendor's driver package and all functions it provides (Since Kubuntu only lets me print, I use virtualbox to initate things like printhead cleaning).
    At the same time, I have a DVB-C pci card in my machine that can not be accessed by the virtual WinXP.
    So my guess is that all hardware except USB is abstracted and can only be used with the functionality that the virtualbox driver provides.

Comment

Just make sure you get the non-free version of VirtualBox as the free version provided by Kubuntu does not have any USB support for the guest OS.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Everything in this thread seems correct so far.

I would only add that you can add Sun's repository to your package manager to keep the non-free VirtualBox up to date. I have done so (in Kubuntu 8.04.3 Hardy), and my package manager automatically updates VirtualBox to the latest release. The only reason you may not want to do so is if you don't want the latest version to be automatically installed at all times. Instructions on the page linked below:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: Hardware support for Windows in Virtual box

Thanks for the response guys!!! I'll make the switch tonight, then.

Cheers!

Frank.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Hardware support for Windows in Virtual box

I just tried to do this tonight and I get the following warning from the package installer:

"Error: Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-ose" conflict: virtubox-3.0()"

And it won't allow me to install it!

Any other suggestions? I really need the USB functionality!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by satori80
              "Error: Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-ose" conflict: virtubox-3.0()"
              I haven't seen that error before. Do you have virtualbox-ose installed? If so then you should remove it first.

Other than that, make sure to follow the instructions on the Virtualbox page linked above.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Okay, you are correct. I did that. Now USB still won't work, so i tried to downgrade to 2.x and that won't work at all!

I'm ready to just nuke this and go back to Gentoo.

I need to update both my remote and my GPS, neither will work under Linux.

If you have any ideas I'm more than happy to try. If not, i'm done with kubuntu.

I'm just too frustrated to deal with this right now.

Comment

If you are using VirtualBox 3.0.8 with Karmic the team over there at VB will tell you it's not officially supported yet. It works fine for me with the exception of USB connectivity but that problem is probably my host operating system which is OS X 10.6.1. A lot of users are reporting USB connectivity issues on the VB forums with the latest release of OS X. You can't expect every third-party app to work correctly on the first day Karmic is available for download. Give them time to update their software, Kubuntu Karmic is bleeding edge.
                  linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Working...
                  X