X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates?

Hello,

I am very new to Linux. Even newer to Kubuntu. I originally tried installing 9.4 to give it a shot, but it failed during install every time so I decided to try 9.10. I am dual booting between Windows 7 and Kubuntu 9.10. The install worked fine, but now I am unable to update.

I have enabled the root password and run the commands

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install

The updates download just fine, but when I try to install, I get:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 383 not upgraded.

I then opened up KPackageKit and tried to update that way, but as soon as it checks dependencies I get an error saying that I do not have the necessary priviledges to install the updates.

So, my question is, how do I log in with admin priviledges or log in as root? Also, shouldnt the updater prompt me for a root password so I can install the updates?

Thanks!

Re: Updates?

Hi, and welcome!

On the command line: the second command should be

"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Hopefully, this will also fix the LPackageKit, otherwise please post back and we'll help ypu (most likely you are missing plicikit, but we need to know because this is a bug that is presumably fixed)

Best luck!

Comment

Awesome! It is installing updates right now. Thank you!

*edit*

I'll let you know if it fixes that KPackagekit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LOB
        I have enabled the root password...
        Did you mean that litterally? In *buntu, the root password account is disabled by default. Yes, it can be enabled, but it is highly recommended that you don't, as it isn't needed. If/when you need root priveleges to do something, sudo command (from the CLI) is all you need. This gives you the ability to execute the command 'as root' for a specified period of time (configurable). If you need to operate as root longer, then sudo su - at the CLI will do that.

Are you familiar with how root works in *buntu?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@LOB: you are welcome! Let's see what happens with KPackageKit. This is the bug report I referred to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...de/+bug/353278

If kpackageit is still not getting a root password, you can try installing policykit:
          "sudo apt-get install policykit"

Please let us know (either here, or better in the bug report) if you need to do that, so this has a chance of being fixed for other people.

@Snowhog: I think "enabled the root passowrd" was meant to describe what "sudo" does, but that's a good point.

FWIW: Another way to sudo for an indefinite time in a shell session is "sudo -i".

Comment

Good tips...thx guys.

Just ran into another issue when trying to enable my wireless. When I open System --> Hardware Drivers, it crashes after I enter my password. If I run the command:

/usr/bin/jockey-kde

I get:

$ jockey-kde
            Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/bin/jockey-kde", line 28, in <module>
            from PyKDE4.kdecore import *
            ImportError: No module named kdecore

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Originally posted by LOB
              I have enabled the root password...
              Did you mean that litterally? In *buntu, the root password account is disabled by default. Yes, it can be enabled, but it is highly recommended that you don't, as it isn't needed. If/when you need root priveleges to do something, sudo command (from the CLI) is all you need. This gives you the ability to execute the command 'as root' for a specified period of time (configurable). If you need to operate as root longer, then sudo su - at the CLI will do that.

Are you familiar with how root works in *buntu?
              Yes, I did mean that literally. I was grasping at straws withvthe update error, so I figured it might help. I wasnt aware that the sudo command was essentially the same thing.

Comment

I think you are missing
                http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/python-kde4

Just install it and that would do. You can do it from KPackageKit. Or, in the worst case, from the command line with "sudo apt-get install python-kde4"

Comment

I tried to install that, but I got a message saying the most current one is already installed. So I ran another update and saw this as the new updates installed:

Setting up python-kde4 (4:4.3.2-0ubuntu3) ...

Setting up apport-kde (1.9.3-0ubuntu2)

After the install completed I was able to open Hardware Drivers and enable my wireless!

Also, KPackageKit now works properly.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the feedback! This means things are ok in Karmic, I was afraid there could be an issue with the jockey-kde packaging, and that's not pretty two weeks away from the release

Enjoy Karmic, it is really, really nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X