This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good scanner program for kde

Hi guys am new to kde (kubuntu 9.04 kde 4.3) and am loving every minute of it. so far my main challenge as been replacing most of the tools i used in gnome with kde4/qt4 tools .. right now am looking for how to scan documents on kde. like if i connect a scanner to my pc. which tool do i use in scaning? on gnome i used xsane (which can be a pain) but works (more or less)
    A Player who makes a theme great is better than a great player .. Losing your self for the team for the good of the team .. now thats team work

Re: Looking for a good scanner program for kde

xsane works for KDE also -- same little idiosyncracies, of course. That's what I use. There are a couple of others that may or may not run right on your setup -- Open Office's Draw package runs my Epson Perfection 1640SU, for example. Insert>Picture>Scan>Select Source.

EDIT: Ooops, forgot about skanlite.

Comment

Earlier > Topic: has Kubuntu no default program for scanners? [solved]
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

my main challenge as been replacing most of the tools i used in gnome with kde4/qt4 tools
        If you really need or you really like some Gnome programs feell free to use it Kde. Probably you use some extremely useful Gnome programs anyway (Firefox, Synaptic etc.), so there is a lot of Gnome libraries in Kubuntu anyway. You will never reach the state you have Kubuntu clean from Gnome staff.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
          my main challenge as been replacing most of the tools i used in gnome with kde4/qt4 tools
          Probably you use some extremely useful Gnome programs anyway (Firefox, Synaptic etc.), so there is a lot of Gnome libraries in Kubuntu anyway. You will never reach the state you have Kubuntu clean from Gnome staff.
          Most of the popular gtk software (like synaptic, gimp and firefox) can be installed without gnome libraries as these are not gnome software, just like some qt programs (like arora and quassel) don't use kde libraries.

Of course there is nothing wrong in using gtk (or gnome) software on kde or qt (or kde) on gnome when you prefer them over "native" applications.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Most of the popular gtk software (like synaptic, gimp and firefox) can be installed without gnome libraries
            Maybe I used wrong examples. Finally I found the topic I took the information from. It was http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106304.0 and there is this
            Originally posted by Greygeek
            I recently did a scan of my Jaunty system to find out how many files are dependent on GTK2+. At that time, on my system, there were 1,689 files dependent on the GTK2+ API. There are some important apps that use the GTK2+ API, including FireFox, ThunderBird, Abiword, Audacity, avidemux, cheese, drgeo, firestarter, glade and many, many more.

To say one won't allow GTK2+ dependent applications on their installation is to eliminate from consideration a LOT of excellent software.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
              Originally posted by kubicle
              Most of the popular gtk software (like synaptic, gimp and firefox) can be installed without gnome libraries
              Maybe I used wrong examples. Finally I found the topic I took the information from. It was http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106304.0 and there is this
              Originally posted by Greygeek
              I recently did a scan of my Jaunty system to find out how many files are dependent on GTK2+. At that time, on my system, there were 1,689 files dependent on the GTK2+ API. There are some important apps that use the GTK2+ API, including FireFox, ThunderBird, Abiword, Audacity, avidemux, cheese, drgeo, firestarter, glade and many, many more.

To say one won't allow GTK2+ dependent applications on their installation is to eliminate from consideration a LOT of excellent software.
              The point I was making is that gtk != gnome (just as qt != kde). Just because gnome uses the gtk toolkit does not mean all gtk software is gnome software.

Most of the best gtk programs can be installed without installing any gnome libraries (libgnome*). So you can definitely run kubuntu without "gnome stuff" (although there's usually no reason to), even if you use some gtk programs.

EDIT: Sorry for drifting off topic

Comment

After lots of trials I have found the best solution for me is to use gscan2pdf with tesseract for OCR. Both are available in the repositories and work really well together.

Comment

Working...
                X