This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing music over a network using Amarok

I've had Kubuntu 9.04 running on my computer (keta) for awhile now. Sadly, it has a small hard drive, so I've been connecting to my wife's computer (kisutch) and playing music over the network. I was using smb4k to connect to kisutch, which was running WinXP, and then pointing Amarok's file browser to ~/smb4k/kisutch/C/music/.

As of today, kisutch is now running Kubuntu 9.04 as well. How do I listen to music on keta over the network?

If it makes a difference, both computers are connected to a router, which in turn is connected to the cable modem.

Re: Playing music over a network using Amarok

The easiest way is to setup NFS server on kisutch and setup an NFS mount point on keta. Here's a how-to on how to setup NFS: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

I run a similar setup here. On my music server I have this setup in /etc/exports:

Code:
    /music 192.168.1.0/24(rw,async)
    And on my laptop I have this in /etc/fstab (192.168.1.5 is the IP of my music server)

Code:
    #mp3laptop mount
    192.168.1.5:/music   /media/mp3laptop    nfs   rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Comment

i my self do quite a bit w/ some nfs magic, my computer has almost no data on its hard drive , everything is stored remotely on my fileserver.
      samba can also be installed on kubuntu , however nfs is much faster (in my tests in noticed a 25% speed boost using nfs instead of samba)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

There's another option you can consider, which might be better: Firefly Music Server (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/). I have this running on my home server and it works really seamlessly with Amarok: Amarok displays all the music on the local computer and automatically finds and lists all the music on the server - and a bonus is that the server is also readable by iTunes.

To install it from the repositories you need to install a package called mt-daapd - I know that's slightly odd, but the name Firefly is new; until recently it was called mt-daapd.

Comment

NFS works perfectly. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X