X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone Support....Off...

Hi all,

I'm extremely new to the whole Linux thing, and I'm not used to forums either, but I'm really excited to get into Linux!

Anyways, I have an ASUS laptop with the latest version of Kubuntu installed. My sound works fine but I can't figure out my microphone. I was trying to use it with Skype and it wasn't picking it up. I went into the audio mixer and put th slider for the mic up, and I could hear it through my speakers, but it still wasn't getting picked up by Skype.

I just realized that I haven't tried it with any other programs, so I suppose I should make that my next step. I'll post an update once I try that.

Thanks guys!

Re: Microphone Support....Off...

Check to see if you have your mic selected to capture. Open kmix. For the mic select the checkbox titled 'capture' for the mic.

If you have already done that, then the issue might be resolved in skype. I have limited experience with skype on kubuntu, therefore I won't be much help with skype.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

The sound controls for Skype are in Skype and not in the computer sound controls.

If your sound usually comes through the sound card then get the beta from the Skype site: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/downloa.../linux/choose/ . It used to be bad at detecting the sound in/sound out settings but it is recently much improved.

If you get sound through USB then DON'T get the beta. It made a proper mess of my USB Internet phone. I had to remove the beta and downgrade to a previous version. Now it works.

(In the past, when I used a headset I had to change the Skype settings to the opetio with "hw" in it. Skype>S Button(bottom left)>Options>Sound Devices>Mess around with soundin/soundout/ringing)
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

There is an issue about built-in microphone not working with some Intel cards, whereas external headsets (incl mic) work. Don't know whether your external microphone works.
        https://wiki.kubuntu.org/SndHdaIntelSoundProblems
        and google 'ubuntu built-in microphone not working'
        Haven't fixed mine.
        Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

I'm very new to Kubuntu and had the same problem with Skype on my Advent 6615 laptop.

I found an easier way to check the sound: I went to the Kick Off Application Launcher, right clicked and changed to Classic View. Then Multimedia & Sound Recorder.

Using Sound Recorder you can try different settings much easier than on Skype. I found the same settings apply to Skype. you can test Skype after finding the correct setting.

If you left click the Volume in tray, left click on Mixer, a settings panel jumps up. Click settings for choices to show on panel. I clicked the lot and by eliminating I was able to set my laptop microphone to work.

Here's hoping this helps with laptop mics'

Comment

I appreciate everyone chipping in with some info!

I'm using a headset mic (not USB) and it works, as far as hearing it coming out of my speakers, but still can't seem to record any sound. I've tried to find a sound recorder for Linux to no avail. I suppose I just don't know where to look.

As far as setting my mic to "capture," there's no option in my Kmix for capture on the mic. I would check in the options on the toolbar, but I accidentally made it hidden and can't figure out how to access it now. Tried all the normal Windows keyboard shortcuts and have got nothing...

I'm really loving Kubuntu, but finding myself lost fairly often.

Comment

CTRL-M will show the menu bar for kmix.

To show/select 'capture' perform the following:

1. Settings>Configure Channels
              2. Place a check mark in the check box on the left side for your mic and capture

Mike
              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X