Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distribution upgrade for Kubuntu 9.10 beta, will not upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution upgrade for Kubuntu 9.10 beta, will not upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04.

When I go onto the Kubuntu site, and following the "upgrade from 9.04" instructions for upgrading to Kubuntu 9.10 beta, I am unable to do it form the internet or alternative disk. I have attached a snapshot of the problem. Please help me figure this out. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Re: Distribution upgrade for Kubuntu 9.10 beta, will not upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04.

Do you have enough space in the partition you are booting from?

Comment

Re: Distribution upgrade for Kubuntu 9.10 beta, will not upgrade from Kubuntu 9.04.

Why not just do a clean install? This is beta (testing software) and is likely to have bugs.
      It is not a regular upgrade. There is no reason to update at this point unless you are just wanting to experiment. That being said:

Did you follow the advice at the bottom of the page?

Troubleshooting

If you get an error stating one of these possibilities:

Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu

Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu

Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

try executing the following:

'sudo dpkg --configure -a' in a terminal.

Afterwards, reboot, and try the upgrade again. This should help to fix any broken packages that are missing due to upgrade problems.

Rob
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by spotslayer
        Do you have enough space in the partition you are booting from?
        I have 179 GB's in the partition.

Comment

Originally posted by rb0171610
          Why not just do a clean install? This is beta (testing software) and is likely to have bugs.
          It is not a regular upgrade. There is no reason to update at this point unless you are just wanting to experiment. That being said:

Did you follow the advice at the bottom of the page?

Troubleshooting

If you get an error stating one of these possibilities:

Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu

Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu

Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

try executing the following:

'sudo dpkg --configure -a' in a terminal.

Afterwards, reboot, and try the upgrade again. This should help to fix any broken packages that are missing due to upgrade problems.

Rob

The reason that I want to upgrade, and not do a clean install is, I an afraid of losing some of my software when I do a install/ I was planning to just partially overwrite my current version, completely replace it. The reason is, Kubuntu 9.10 beta version has a bug in package manger that will not allow it to install software. this is important in case I have to install deleted software. I know, I should just wait for at least the release candidate. I am just wanting to help in the testing, and I am also excited about the cool updates, especially the new version of firefox. I have already tried to 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' in terminal. Please give any input that could help, or ease my mind.

Ron

Comment

So you want to install a testing software even though you are afraid to lose your currently installed software? It sounds to me like you should just stick with what you already have or try installing the new version in a virtual machine. Have you tried virtualbox? Download the non-free version at http://www.virtualbox.org/. Or install the free version from the repositories.

So the new version has a bug in the package manager? Does this bug apply to synaptic, adept, kpackagekit, AND kpackage? Does this mean you still cannot install software from the command line using aptitude or apt-get?:

apt-get update
            apt-get install

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X