X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clear the DNS of a domain?

Greetings,

I have a domain since a while. Today I modified it's DNS for another host.
    In my computer I still see the old content... however, someone on the very same internet WiFi connection sees already the new host's content.

How can I clear out the old data in my Kubuntu and see the new host's content?

Thanks,

Tamas

Re: How to clear the DNS of a domain?

You DNS client is probably caching that info, is there any reason not to reboot your kubuntu box? I would think that that will clear things up ...

Comment

Thanks, lmilano !

I have restarted my Kubuntu system... it is still lthe same...

What does it mean "reboot your kubuntu box"?
      What is kubuntu box, anyhow?
      And how can the reboot be done?

Thanks,

Tamas

Comment

LOL! Sorry, we are saying the same thing. Reboot=restart, and Box=computer=system.

Modems/routers some times provide more than one DNS server, and typically, last time I heard, DNS changes take a while to propagate through the internet. So, something you could do is wait a day or two. If you must solve it now, you would have to take a look in the advanced settings of the two computers and see what DNS server is being used by the system that is seeing the new content. Another thing you could try is to restart the modem/router.

Best luck!

Comment

Thanks!
          So, I shall wait... and get some sleep... it is 10 pm here.

Good night, and thanks, again.

Tamas

Comment

lmilano says it all and I have a feeling that things will be OK when you get up. However, if you haven't gone to bed yet, it might be interesting to temporarily change your DNS setting to another server and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Greetings, Ole Juul ...

I am up... after some sleep... and I still see only the old web-page.

You suggest: "temporarily change your DNS setting to another server"... How can I do that?

Thanks,

Tamas

Comment

My suggestion (experiment?) would involve changing the DNS in either your router or your computer. Go to the system settings and "domain name system" and change it there. Routers also usually have a place to put static dns.

I wonder if your friend, whose connection to your domain works, is using the same server as you. If not then try his number(s). You can theoretically use any server you like, but OpenDNS offers a couple for everyone. They are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. There is more information about OpenDNS, and using the numbers, on this page: https://www.opendns.com/start/

BTW, I'm wondering if you get the right site when you put just the numbers, instead of the name, into your browser.

Comment

The nearest in System Settings is "Network Settings"... where there are Proxy and Service Disovery.

However, I have not found "domain name system" there...

Where is it? Where do I have to look for it?

Thanks,

Tamas

Comment

You are right! With time, it has been solved, on its own...
                    So, it works now...
                    Thanks.

However, I am still interested... how to do this DNS setting? (It might useful another time...)

Greetings,

Tamás

Comment

Ah, I was about to ask why you needed this. I think the best place is in the network manager you are using. If this is KNetworkManager, you can do "Edit Connections", and force a static DNS server. But you really need to know what you are doing. You might need to log into your router, and see what DNS servers are available.

This is only worth when you have a static configuration IMHO, like you would in a large corporation, a University Campus, etc.

Comment

Thanks... so, it is better, if I just do not change these kind of things.
                        And, the only thing, I had to do was: to wait...

So, it has been resolved...

It was great to have your support, lmilano and Ole Juul !

Greetings,

Tamas

Comment

Our pleasure my friend! This is about the most friendly tech forum I've ever seen, we are a bit proud of it

Comment

It is true! Yes, it's a friendly place...
                            And, as it is so... I feel 2 things:
                            - I feel encouraged to ask further question... if and when
                            - I would love to contribute, to put in something, too

If there are things to be translated to Hungarian... or... as a photographer, you need photos... or... whatever...

And, again and again... thanks.
                            :-)

(All this is already off topic... however, it feels good!)
                            :-)

Tamas

Comment

Yes, I think this Forum is true to the Kubuntu Philosophy (Toward Humanity)
                              http://www.kubuntu.org/faq#name

Re: translations, in case you'd like to volunteer some time. The Hungarian is as of today 63% complete for the next release (in just 3 weeks)
                              https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

For more:
                              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations
                              https://translations.edge.launchpad....armic/+lang/hu
                              https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-hu

Cheers,
                              Leo

Comment

Working...
                              X