X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple workgroups........

ppl please help me out.............

Is it possible to run two workgroups simultaneously on a single OS......

I have kubuntu 8.02.........

I have to link it with two windows workgroups simultaneosly.......

Help me out guys.........

Re: multiple workgroups........

Hi

Is this for Samba Shares?

Comment

Originally posted by NP
      Is it possible to run two workgroups simultaneously on a single OS......
      No. AFAIK no version of Windows or Linux provides UI for multiple workgroups.

I have to link it with two windows workgroups
      Why? For most Windows home networks, you should be able to browse shares for any workgroup on your LAN regardless of membership.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Yes this is for samba shares........

I`ll tell u guys the scenario..........................

the linux system is connected to a windows system via a normal ethernet system at all times and they cannot be separated........

keeping the above connection in mind......... i need to connect the linux system to another n/w comprising of only window systems via a ethernet switch........

Now when i create two ethernet connections on the linux system........... none of the both work.....

So resorting to ad hoc measures i disconnect the second connection and then have to resort to use of pendrives for file transfer......

I cant connect the n/w of windows to the standalone windows machine.....

Reply asap

Comment

Originally posted by NP
          Now when i create two ethernet connections on the linux system........... none of the both work.....
          I don't understand why you need two ethernet cables if you are connecting through a switch. Is the Linux box supposed to be a router or firewall?

All computers on the ethernet switch are already on the same physical network. The ethernet switch separates collision domains, not networks.

If you manually assign IP address and network mask on each machine then you can put them on the same TCP/IP network.

Once the machines are on the same TCP/IP network, then you can connect them via higher protocols like Samba.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by NP

Reply asap
            Did you mean, "Please, reply asap, thanks" ? Believe it or not, we are volunteering our time to help you. Unless you are willing to pay me, and I am really expensive, please don't command me like this. And even so, I would ask you to be polite.

I'll help you anyway assuming it was just a slip. I think the issue is your network configuration. You need one router, and different computers connected to the router. When they talk to each other, they go through the router. In a home network, the router is typically also the cable modem, or dsl modem. You are doing something very different.

Each client in a network, at least in all networks _I_ know, connect to one router that provides dns resolutions and such.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Sorry, we both posted about the same thing at the same time. I obviously agree, Telengard

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                Sorry, we both posted about the same thing at the same time. I obviously agree, Telengard
                My friend, I am not troubled by this at all.

It seems to me that the OP should clearly explain what he is trying to do. It is most likely a simple misunderstanding about the correct network configuration.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                X