This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several problems?!?

I am a new Kubuntu 9.04 user. I did try some older linux versions in the past, but always encountered hardware problems so I continued to use MS. But this time I like to see if I can solve my hardware difficulties. I hope any of you can help me out. Here are my problems I have so far.

- Canon printer Pixma MP160 is installed and works with OpenOffice. But I can get it to work under Okular?
    - No sound from flashplayer movies?
    - I use aMSN. The webcam works fine. But I have no Sound or Microphone so I can't make calls?
    - Amarok player doesn recognize audio cdś from the optical drive station. Can play cd's? Dragon Player does recognize DVD's from this station! And Amarok does recognize and play audio files from a usb-stick. So it seems it is the link between cd-rom and Amarok that is missing?

Perhaps it helps when you know the spec's of my Samsung R505 FS02 laptop. These you can find under http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/d...2NL&fullspec=F

I hope any of you can point me in the right direction to get my hardware running correctly.

Many thnx

Re: Several problems?!?

amarok- dosent do cd's eneymor ............but the other players do

dont have a printer so cant help with that................

dose sound work with other things.....like dvd's or cd's

did you click kmix ...should be in the systemtray and play with it's setings the sliders for mic mite be down.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Jan

- No sound from flashplayer movies?
      - I use aMSN. The webcam works fine. But I have no Sound or Microphone so I can make calls?
      These both indicate an issue with the audio driver or configuration. There's a link in my signature, and in those FAQs is a link to the Ubuntu sound troubleshooting guide -- you should be able to fix it by following that guide.

Someone previously had a problem printing with Okular -- I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104907.0

Not happy news there -- is Kpdf still available (I can't check the repo at the moment)?

Comment

Not happy news there -- is Kpdf still available (I can't check the repo at the moment)?
        NO
        but I see this
        poppler-utils

PDF utilitites (based on libpoppler)

This package contains pdftops (PDF to PostScript converter), pdfinfo
        (PDF document information extractor), pdfimages (PDF image extractor),
        pdftohtml (PDF to HTML converter), pdftotext (PDF to text converter),
        and pdffonts (PDF font analyzer).
        on my sys PDF docks open with

Okular
        Version 0.9.2
        Using KDE 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
        by default

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
          This has been fixed in amarok 2.2 (currently available only for karmic), tested on karmic and it plays them quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Originally posted by vinnywright
            This has been fixed in amarok 2.2 (currently available only for karmic), tested on karmic and it plays them quite nicely.
            O that's it .........I'm doing the
            update-notifier-kde -d
            thing tonight.......LOL

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

I just verified that okular WILL print a pdf with my HP LJ-2200. I don't recall doing anything special when I set up the printer for Jaunty. But, I'm not sure that OO.o uses the same printer drivers as KDE apps. OpenOffice is a Sun product which is developed independently. Can you print with some other KDE application, like a one sentence text file in KATE? What I'm trying to do here is to separate the effect of the KDE printer driver from that of the rendering engine in Okular.

EDIT: I looked up the Canon Pixma MP160 on this page at linuxprinting.org. It appears that you need a special driver, which you can download from Canon.

Comment

Vinny, I found the special MP160 driver, but the "an error occured" message ended my attempt to install it.

Also installed other audio players (Songbird and Banshee) but none can play audio files from my optical drive (is not detected and when I go to my optical drive I only get the option to open the 'audio' files with Dolphin or K3b).

Also tried to open Kmix to fiddle around with the sound/microphone settings. But, even though Kmix is pre-installed under Kubuntu, it doesn't open. That is, it does make an attempt to open it (a Kmix hopping symbol next to the mouse + a Kmix-bar in the bottom panel appear/ and then disappear) but no Kmix window will open.

I also looked for a solution for my missing sound settings under dibl's FAQ's.....

So, although it kept me busy for a while, I haven't solved any of the prescribed hardware difficulties.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan

I also looked for a solution for my missing sound settings under dibl's FAQ's.....
                  It is #6.

Here's the link to the Ubuntu sound troubleshooting guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

Thnx, I had a look at that. At step one I already saw that my sound card was detected and installed. So it looked as if it was a sound setting problem. I also found out how to access the Kmixer. Opened all channels with volume up. Unfortunately despite all that, I still can't use me mic (mic is working fine when the channel is opened though) when calling with aMSN nore do I here anything from the other caller. And I still have no sound during flashplayer movies on sites like youtube?!? To me it looks like a webbrowser setting problem. I use Mozilla Firefox. Any idea what I can do?

Comment

Follow #9 in my FAQs, do each step carefully. When you finish that, you will have your codecs and flash and java, and flash should work after you restart your browser. To install vlc:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vlc
                      If you still don't have flash audio, then that's an issue with flash and we'll have to dig deeper on it.

Skype is proprietary software, and has some "particular" requirements. It's been a couple of years since I used it -- I use Ekiga now, but I know a lot of folks do use Skype. I had to buy a new "Skype-certified" USB headphone to get it to work -- it didn't like a standard headphone, for some reason. Also there was at one time some issue with 64-bit Skype. So, I would say get your audio working in all other modes first (flash, media player, etc.), then search Ubuntu Forums for "skype audio" and you should find lots of previous troubleshooting tips.

Comment

On the flash issue, there is an interesting post here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/360741

On the CD question, if all you want to do is to insert a CD and then play it, you could look at Kscd.

Also I don't use Skype but IIRC I read somewhere that it doesn't play well with pulse, supporting OSS, and that you have to install a pulse/OSS compatibility package?

Comment

hmm. First of all check cups settings, but if oo.o can print with cups, okular uses the same cups.
                          For audio cds use kscd, and/or set up open with actions for inserted device in system settings ---> advanced ---> device actions, and there you can set which actions would open for audio cds and how
                          For your audio issue: Never install tons of audio drivers. Remove pulseaudio, esd, jack, arts, etc., only keep alsa, alsa-oss and phonon installed, and all xine-libs (and phonon-xine), and set amarok to xine instead of gstreamer (it will set the whole phonon. Then set in system settings/multimedia which sound device works (testing, and it even notifies if errors occured) Try flash player even in konqueror. And if you use amd64, for flash audio install alsa-32bit (I don't know how it's in apt-get)

Comment

and for amsn set aplay -q $sound in the settings/audiofile

Comment

@vegita: Are you SURE that OO.o uses the CUPS driver? Good to know!

Comment

Working...
                              X