X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help - Disaster struck !

Is there any way of resetting it ?
    Look at "How to reset your password in Ubuntu" on http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Seriously stupid question but what is the name I'm trying to change ? Root ? root ? Admin ? admin ?

Sorry to be so dumb ?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim036
        Seriously stupid question but what is the name I'm trying to change ? Root ? root ? Admin ? admin ?
        That depends on how the system is set up (have you set a root password? etc.)...but if you're running a "default" setup, you can get the username of the admin user with (for example):
        Code:
        grep 1000:1000 /etc/passwd
        the first field in the output is the username of the first account created during installation (also the default %admin user)

Comment

Is that from the command line in 'Recovery' mode or true for any user from a terminal window ?

from memory the Admin id seperate from users in my systems but can't be sure.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim036
            Is that from the command line in 'Recovery' mode or true for any user from a terminal window ?
            The command will work in either recovery mode or a normal shell, but it won't give you the correct username if you're running from a livecd (in which case it gives you the username from the livecd instead of the installed system).

from memory the Admin id seperate from users in my systems but can't be sure.
            If you suspect that is the case, then it's probably a good idea to inspect the file /etc/group with:
            Code:
            grep '^admin' /etc/group
            The output (last field) will list the users that belong to the %admin group (and can therefore use sudo == "admin accounts").

Comment

Just to make life simpler I put a fresh Hardy Heron install on a fresh Hard disc.

If I go to the Hard disc with the data on it says:-

'Permissions denied'

If I go to System setting etc I get to 'enable' screen and click on enable at start up

I;ll see if that gets me to be cable to copy the data

An out of his depth

Tim

Comment

I have now extracted most of the data from the drive which belonged to the dead PC, repaired the faulty UPS which probably caused the problem in the first place.

Many thanks for all the help I've received ! You guys have saved me from the Horrors of Vista ! And the dubious task of considering Windows 7 !

Tim

Comment

Working...
                X