This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repairing file system with errors

I am on 8.04. In doing a reboot I get message that file system has errors. I continued boot with ctrl d but would like to fix errors. How do I do it. Thanks.

Re: repairing file system with errors

Assuming an ext3 filesystem:

Code:
    man e2fsck
    Boot a Live CD, and unmount the filesystem before you run it.

Comment

Yep, with dibl.

@ ahurd -- Hermann does a real good job with this fsck thing, including bad superblocks:
      http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherma...xt3_filesystem
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Another link I found suggested init 1 followed by umount rather than live disk boot. When I tried init 1 in terminal, screen flashed several times and then hung at end of Kubuntu progress bar. What to do now?

Comment

*buntu does not use the init levels the same as standard Debian, so that's not gonna work. The other problem is, if you unmount your main filesystem, what OS will you be running to use fsck? In other words, you can't be running your Kubuntu filesystem at the same time you have it unmounted for fsck. That's why you need to use a Live CD.

Here's a way that is a little more involved up front, but will leave you with a very handy tool for future use. Download the current Parted Magic ISO file from here:

http://partedmagic.com/

note that you must unzip it, after downloading, to bring it back to .iso configuration. Then burn a Live CD, at 4x speed, DAO mode. Then boot your Parted Magic Live CD. Now click "Partitioner" to run it, and when it is showing you your hard drive, right-click on the partition that has a problem, and choose "check". Might as well do this for all your hard drive partitions, while you are at it. Then when you are finished clicking on them, click "Apply" on the top menu bar, and all partitions will be fsck'd for you. Then you can Exit/restart from Parted Magic, and your system should boot as expected.

Comment

thank you very much Dibl. Errors now fixed. It seemed to me that in booting up I saw a message about error in fstab but it was not there in dmesg. How do I check and fis errors in fstab?

Comment

Working...
            X