This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux

I have installed Kubuntu 6.06 and am trying to set up my printer, which is a HP Deskjet 5150 and when I try to print, all I get is a bunch of blank pages...I have tried to install the drives from HP but can not get it to install the file hplip-0.9.11.tar.gz...since I am new to this OS, I need help trying to get the printer to work so I can print the guides and howto's for my reference...if anyone knows of a book which I can purchase to have by my side all the time, can you please pass on info, on to me, it will be greatly appreciated...but would like to get this printer going sometime soon.

Thanks in advance,
    Jesse

Re: New to Linux

I installed my HP printer just by going to "system settings" then printers - add and then followed the wizard - I didn't need to manually install the hplip files manually as the system already had them. Did you try this?

Comment

Hum? a book? Dunno about that.

One of the problems that gets up my nose is that there isn't "a" book. No theres lots of them.

What you'll find, is that some people think book A is great, others think book B is better, but both books A and B will be about linux/unix in general, and not the distro.

Heres a few links
      how to read man pages
      Introduction to linux
      Linux Newbie Admin Guide
      Rute User

The book thing? (or lack of - especially distro specific ones) is related to the relative speed of distro updates.

Imagine, you spend a year writing/publishing a book on a new version of whatever and by the time it's hit the bookshops, it's out of date, because the damn distro has been updated/upgraded at least once.

Don't just stick to these forums, theres a world of assistance out there.

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and to install you printer, I would suggest looking into "cups" - you should be able to install most printers in it - maybe not if it's a mega new one though.
      What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I finally was able to add my printer around 3 this morning but would not install hplip-0.9.11 but hpijs instead...hey, at least I can now print some of the user guides out there...thanks for advice and fatbloke, thanks for the names you passed on.

Jesse

Comment

Actually, there are at least two books that are worth reading to learn Linux and another that is never far from my cluttered desk. To learn Linux read either "Running Linux" whcih is published by O'Reilly (the authors vary from edition to edition) or "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. The Rute book is also very good, but you can't read it offline. It is available for download in a multiverse package.

After you've read one of these volumes, you will want to have a coy of "Linux in a Nutshell" again, from O'Reilly with changing authors. I still look at my well worn copy to refresh my memory on exactly which option to use to do what even in some common commands.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            Actually, there are at least two books that are worth reading to learn Linux and another that is never far from my cluttered desk. To learn Linux read either "Running Linux" whcih is published by O'Reilly (the authors vary from edition to edition) or "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. The Rute book is also very good, but you can't read it offline. It is available for download in a multiverse package.

After you've read one of these volumes, you will want to have a coy of "Linux in a Nutshell" again, from O'Reilly with changing authors. I still look at my well worn copy to refresh my memory on exactly which option to use to do what even in some common commands.
            The others you mentioned askrieger (on top of "Rute"), aren't distro specific though. Which is why I suggested links too online stuff.

Plus, even if the thread originator did get the likes of running linux/nutshell etc etc, when I managed to get a look at them, they seemed to be related mainly to rpm based distros (and lets face it, even how they work varies).

They also go out of date/print etc etc

Weird really, I myself, prefer good, old fashioned, hard copy books. Though I've always ended up suggesting/recommending online resources.

Do the forums have the facility to run a list of useful links (as opposed to a "proper" wiki) so that we can just "check 'em out" like a library I suppose

dunno' might be useful - especially for those like me, who's linux knowledge could be written on the back of a very small postage stamp - with a very large felt marker

S'pose any resource has gotta be a good resource though.

regards

fatbloke
            What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Working...
            X