X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop shortcuts to web pages

I use Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.31
    Is it possible to create desktop shortcuts to web pages like you can in windows
    When you stop learning you die.

Re: Desktop shortcuts to web pages

if in firefox just drag the little Icon just to the right of the add. to ware you want to link it

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@vinnywright: I'm sorry, I don't understand that. Which little icon? Just to the right of what? I hope freedom2009 got more out of your response than I did.

Comment

Click and hold on the icon to the left of the displayed URL, then drag and drop to the desktop. I'm running a Debian sid 'hybred' w/KDE 4.3.1 and that works.
        Attached Files
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          @vinnywright: I'm sorry, I don't understand that. Which little icon? Just to the right of what? I hope freedom2009 got more out of your response than I did.
          MY apolagey's I got in to big a hurry I gess .....(I had a hard time understanding it to when I just reread it)

I ment if you'r in firefox click and drag the little icon to the LEFT of the address (ok URL) of the page your looking at to whare ever you want to have a link to the page at (like the desktop or home DIR's)

agin sorey for he shortness and typo

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks
            I Tried your suggestion and it worked
            When you stop learning you die.

Comment

That's a neat trick. However, I just went to try it and there is no direct access to an open piece of desktop because I have too many windows open. Is there a way around that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                That's a neat trick. However, I just went to try it and there is no direct access to an open piece of desktop because I have too many windows open. Is there a way around that problem?
                close or minamize some windows..........................LOL

you dont half to drop it on the desktop it can be droped in eney folder you have open in a file browser...............witch could allso be the desktop folder...........ok dir.

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

close or minamize some windows..........................LOL
                  Actually Vinny, I do have a lot of windows open, (25 right now) but that is how I use a browser. If I were to close or minimize any windows then the browser wouldn't be very useful to me - mostly because it would involve using the mouse too much. Anyway that's a whole other story that I should probably do a blog entry about instead. All the FF windows are in one desktop and other programs run mostly on their own desktops - that's what desktops are for isn't it?

Anyway, you did answer my question, and that is that I could drag and drop to any folder and not just the desktop. In other words on the same desktop as FF, I could have a non FF window open just for that purpose.

I just did a little test. I dragged the little icon from FF into a directory in Konqueror and also onto the desktop. In both cases it worked fine but turns out to be a textfile and, although useful, opens in Kate if just clicked on. I don't get a shortcut. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

that's strang when I do the same thing (drag and drop to Konqueror or dolphin)I get a window that asks me if I want to move,copy,or link hear....chosing link gets me a link(or shortcut as it were) exept to the desktop witch it just links automatickley

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

I get a message from KDesktop asking for "filename for dropped contents". It's still a neat trick though. The contents of the file is just the url in text format. Taking the little Kubuntu icon to the left of the the address bar and dragging it into this window gives me the same contents which is this:
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;num_replies=9
                      This particular installation is an upgraded version, perhaps you have a clean install. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect they have different functionalities. Actually, scrolling down, I see the OP was referring to 9.04 and I am running 8.04 , oops! That'll be the difference. I'll try it on a machine with 9.04 later just to see, but I'm happy with this the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X