X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screensavers/opengl

hello all -

i've got a hazy question, at least as far as i can tell, but i appreciate any and all help i get.

i've recently encounted a problem trying to install an opengl screensaver (posted in a different thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5740.0).) i'm wondering if this problem, and/or my related difficulties upgrading to recent versions of KDE, etc..., are related to one of two things:

1) my inability to preview or run any of the opengl screensavers listed in my KDE screensaver manager, and

2) the fact that i'm running two monitors, one with an ATI and one with an nvidia card, spanning my larger desktop.

thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

j

Re: screensavers/opengl

What version of KDE are you running?

I've just been looking around and spotted a post that says that theres a problem with kde 3.5.3 at the moment, whereby, screensavers won't start.

If you have an earlier version i.e. kde 3.5.2 or < then it could be related to power saving settings - I experienced with SuSE 10.1 i.e. I had to make sure that I had disabled all the power saving options and just have the screensaver set up.

Dunno if thats gonna help though.

regards

fatbloke
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

3.4.3 -

thanks for the suggestion. i checked what i could find, and all power management options are currently disabled.

cheers,

j

Comment

Please upgrade your Breezy installation to KDE 3.5.2, 3.4.3 was horribly bug-ridden. In addition, running two monitors with different video cards would require a certain amount of manipulation to get operating without worrying about non-standard screen savers. Please walk before trying to run.

Comment

i thought i was running ... in all seriousness, i've had the two monitors spanning and working nicely for a couple of weeks (thanks to lots of great threads on the xorg.conf file) where everything but these screensavers and perhaps a bit of opengl are concerned--i assume there's more to come on this point.

i am however, pleased to say that thanks to several persons' help, i'm currently upgrading KDE (see the other thread linked from this one above) and this reference http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=817.0.

i hope i haven't irritated anyone. so far i've found the answer to every question i've needed without posting on these forums, so it's been very nice to participate a little bit.

regards,

j

Comment

Please don't take my Comments personally, I just started Physical Therapy for a back injury and I ache in every pore. It tends to make me a little grumpy.

Comment

Sorry about the injury. I hope PT improves things drastically.

And I appreciate the help very much. Being new to this just makes me overly self-conscious of my ineptitude.

Regards,

j

Comment

Working...
              X