This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: trouble finding right sound driver

I was going to try some of the things on this page, but asoundconf doesn't exist on my box. I have asoundconf-gtk, but when I try to run it, it fails because it can't find /usr/bin/asoundconf. I can't find it on Synaptic or using apt-file either. Using an up-to-date version of Karmic. So, any ideas on where I find asoundconf?

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil
      I was going to try some of the things on this page, but asoundconf doesn't exist on my box. I have asoundconf-gtk, but when I try to run it, it fails because it can't find /usr/bin/asoundconf. I can't find it on Synaptic or using apt-file either. Using an up-to-date version of Karmic. So, any ideas on where I find asoundconf?
      I happen to know that this file is /etc/asound.conf in Ubuntu distributions. But you could find it yourself by doing the following.
      First update your database (similar to indexing in Windows) with this command:

sudo updatedb

and then search for files and directories with the word asound:

sudo locate asound

or you can narrow your search only lines with the word conf as well:

sudo locate asound | grep conf

which returns :

/etc/asound.conf
      /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libasound2.conf
      /usr/bin/asoundconf
      /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.a
      /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.la
      /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

and so on ...

Most of your configuration files for hardware are stored as editable text files in the /etc directory.
      The file you are looking for is /etc/asound.conf
      You can edit this file from the command line with:

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

If you are not familiar with nano, it is a terminal editor. You can view or edit text files with Nano. To open a file type nano followed by the name of the file. To save press CTRL+X. To search within a document press CTRL+W. The CTRL+ shortcut keys are listed at the bottom when you open nano.

Good Luck.
      Rob

Comment

I already tried locate many times over. There is no binary on my system called asoundconf. And nothing in apt seems to find a package that contains it.

Comment

/etc/asound.conf does not exist in a default *buntu installation. AFAIK it is deprecated for ALSA. If you change to OSS, you might need it.

Comment

There are options for Acer systems here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sound+database

Make sure you have the PCM channel checked (open Kmix, Settings > Configure Channels, put an "x" in PCM.).

Worst case (like my Toshiba NB205), you might not be able to use an ALSA driver. In that case, OSS might work.
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base
            and choose OSS. Then you have to reboot.

Comment

Working...
            X