X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic Alpha 6 + Newbie: Bad idea?

Hi all --

I'm relatively new to Linux, and am looking to install it on my new Asus Eee PC 1005. I was going to install Ubuntu NBR, but I saw the new version of Kubuntu and I like what I see! My question is, is installing the Alpha 6 version a bad idea? I'll be dual-booting with WinXP, so I'm not concerned about not being able to use the PC, but I am concerned that I won't be able to tell an installation issue from an out-and-out bug. Also, once the final version is released, does it automatically update, or do I have to re-install?

Thanks in advance -- any and all advice would be appreciated!

Aaron

Re: Karmic Alpha 6 + Newbie: Bad idea?

I'm not familiar with the hardware specs of the 1005. I have an Eee PC 701, which is pretty weak. It runs the Xfce desktop a lot better than KDE.

If you're new to Linux, I would not advise 9.10 before it is released in October -- the learning curve will be very tough. Maybe you want to take a look at Xubuntu 9.04?

Comment

I second the motion. Karmic is still pretty buggy. I installed alpha 6 today and there are still lots of known issues. For example, automount doesn't work, so it's a pain to mount DVDs, etc. Not to mention the bugs that affect stability. Go with 9.04.
      Registered Linux user #436067<br />=======<br />Ubuntu 8.04 &amp; 9.04

Comment

I don't have a Asus Eee PC 1005 but my travelmate has just about the same specs.

I have Kubuntu 9.04 (actually it is a mint installation because of the network manager) with the .31 kernel and kde4.3.1 and Karmic (testing and they run fine.

I do concur with the others above. KK is still in alpha and the last upgrade borked a few things.

Either put JJ on it now and upgrade to KK later or wait for the release of KK.

Also, as a side note 160 GB should be plenty to make a separate /home partition.

Enjoy
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X