Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another question about cairo-dock....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another question about cairo-dock....

Ok I installed Cairo-dock from the package manager, but for some reason it doesn't work as well as it does on my gnome desktop. (I prefer Gnome on the desktop but prefer kubuntu on my laptop as it's network manager and powersave features are MUCH better imho) I have my kubuntu system tray set on hide and want to use the Cairo-dock with Kubuntu as well because I love it for it's convenience, when I installed it from the package manager though I get a huge black box around the dock and only one default theme to use as well... when I installed it from here in gnome for my desktop https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ca...k#Installation it just seems to be much, much better than the version I get from the package managers.... Now can I use the link from ubuntu.com to install this in Kubuntu as well? Or would I have to change something in the commands? Doesn't Kubuntu use Kate instead gedit or something along those lines? Or would I still have the same problem with the black box around the Cairo-dock using that as well? I don't have desktop effects enabled in kubuntu, could that be the problem with getting the black box all the way around the dock?

Re: Yet another question about cairo-dock....

The reference you gave (at the Ubuntu Community Wiki) lists 4 different methods of installing Cairo-dock. Which ones have you tried and exactly what happened? Also, as you are probably aware the term "the package-manager" is ambiguous. The standard package manager for kubuntu has changed several times in recent releases. Some of them e.g. Adept, were never really perfected, that is, Adept didn't automatically install all necessary dependencies. Remember that in Debian/*buntu parlance "recommended" means "essential" and "suggested" means "pick at least one if you want to run the program".

Some of us, (myself included) therefore use Synaptic under KDE because it automagically installs recommended packages and explicity lists suggested packages. Unfortunately, this involves downloading a significant amount of "stuff", if Synaptic is your only GTK program. If you have the room, however, this is worth doing. Then re-install Cairo-dock. This may be enough to get it working.

BTW: Yes, Kubuntu uses Kate instead of gedit. it also uses "kdesu" or "kdesudo" (depending on release) instead of "gksudo".

Comment

Thank you for responding!

I am sorry I wasn't very clear.. I was using the Kpackage in 9.04 to install where I ran into the problem. trying to install with that...

Then I checked the ubuntu.com documentation to try and find the alternative install I had used on my gnome system which would be the first option they discussed, but I didn't really try it because I was sure that kate and gedit were different... and I didn't realize the command line was different as well... the "kdesudo" and "gksudo" I haven't really messed around with synaptic too much and perhaps I will give that a try...... they also list a .deb file in the ubuntu documention as well though, so maybe that is worth a shot?

So if I used the first option from the link and changed the things in the command line to what kde would recognize would that work do you think? Just asking because it seemed to work better in gnome with that option than installing with adept there.

Comment

Ok... I've intalled this everyway I can think of and no matter what I can't get it to work correctly, not matter what I try I always get the black box framing the dock and it looks like hell.. g tried it with no open GL and then WITH open GL running it still gets the box AND the graphics go haywire with it... the tux n tosh theme for it would go great with my current themes and color set up... But I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper to figure this one out...

Comment

Working...
        X