This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing applications from a flashdrive

I have kubuntu 9.04 and an acer aspire 3680, im not asking about the wifi card though :P
    Im pretty new to kubuntu and i was wondering how I can install applications without using apt-get because my laptop cant connect to wireless yet.

~thanks
    Kubuntu9.04 AcerAspire3680

Re: installing applications from a flashdrive

Are you able to connect using a network cable? That's by far the simplest way. You should find that if you connect a network cable, running to your router or modem, it'll just work immediately.

Comment

Perhaps so, Might be easier than trying to manually install.
      just wanted to know in case I dont have any connection in the future.
      Like downloading the repositories. onto a different drive and having the apt-get take from there when it can connect online.
      Kubuntu9.04 AcerAspire3680

Comment

I'm going to give a sorta high-level recommendation, and then you'll have to do the searches to get the finer detail on how to execute it.

The "Alternate Install" CD has many more packages included than the Live CD, so you should download (via some other computer, I guess) the Alternate Install CD ISO file. You could burn it according to instructions for making a Linux CD (see FAQ #1 in the link in my signature), but that won't get you what you want, wrt to the USB stick capability.

So, you will save the ISO image file to the USB stick. Then you will need to mount the ISO image (instructions are elsewhere on this forum).

Finally, you will need to set the mounted ISO as a "CD" source in your sources.list (KpackageKit, synaptic, or whatever you're using for package management). So, with your Alternate Install "CD" available, all the Kubuntu packages that are included on it will be available for installation on your laptop, with no Internet connection.

All the packages in the universe are not on the Alternate Install CD, unfortunately, so this is a limited solution for you. I hope it helps.

Comment

If you get you PC setup the way you like it, and you keep the downloaded packages, you can use APTonCD

What is APTonCD?

APTonCD is a tool with a graphical interface which allows you to create one or more CDs or DVDs (you choose the type of media) with all of the packages you've downloaded via APT-GET or APTITUDE, creating a removable repository that you can use on other computers.

APTonCD will also allow you to automatically create media with all of your .deb packages located in one especific repository, so that you can install them into your computers without the need for an internet conection.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow that APTonCD looks good thanks Snowhog!!!!

Aaa but why hasent eney one pointed him to GDebi

GDebi dose just that install's a .deb from in dolphin or Konqueror ..........

I had to use it to install ndiswrapper-common_1.50-1ubuntu1_all.deb
            and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.50-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

on 8.04 to get my wireless working originaley and it was as esey as DL'ing the .deb's to a usb stick and puting it in the box with 8.04 and clicking the .deb's.........

now it wont get dependencys for ya but it will try to install a .deb

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              now it wont get dependencys for ya but it will try to install a .deb
              Which is a BIG issue when the package being installed has dependencies.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

APTonCD?

...also check out Keryx - http://keryxproject.org/...
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                X