X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Broken

I'm using Kubuntu 9.04.
    I tried to upgrade a few packages (dolphin, plasma etc) and let KPackagekit take care of dependencies. I tried to upgrade them from backport repositories of Jaunty.
    But after restarting the plasma crashed and now desktop, taskbar etc are not visible.
    Some packages(Dragon player, Okular, Konsole) still work while others (Konqourer, Dolphin) don't.

What should i do?

Re: Plasma Broken

what version of kde are you using?

first two things I would try would be
    "sudo apt-get -f install" this will fix any broken installs if they can be fixed.

"sudo apt-get autoremove" will take out any old dependencies that are no longer needed and may be causing problems.
    <br />[img width=200 height=120]http://photo.tazgeers.com/lMy_linux.png[/img]<br /> <br />Intel P4 @ 1.8GHZ<br />1 GB Ram | 2560x1024 Resolution on twinview<br />Nvidia Geforce4 mx440 agp8x Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10 w/KDE 4.3.1<br />

Comment

force plasma to start
      press ctrl-esc
      if kwin process is there, ok
      if not
      alt-f2 and force them to start

Comment

Re: Taskbar does not exist

When i minimize any program window, i don't know where it goes. It does not settle in the Panel below.

I have tried many options, but nothing worked.

Comment

Alt-F2 "plasma-desktop" with no quote marks.

What do you see?

Comment

I pressed Alt-F2 and typed plasma-desktop, found nothing. But, when i just typed plasma, i could see an option which says 'Run Plasma'.

I clicked on it but there was no difference.

Comment

Hey i had a problem with the plasma application workspace one that used to crashed and this is what i did to fix it may work 4 u :

go to (if u dont find.kde4 choose .kde , its the same, to view it to to view hidden files or folders) /home/''yourname''/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and delete plasma apletsrc and restart your computer...that might work

Comment

Thanks for the support.

Finally, i solved the problem. Just Clicked on 'Add Widgets' and installed widget named 'Task Manager'.

Now i can see the minimized window in the taskbar.

Comment

Working...
                X