This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

importing hotmail into thunderbird

Hey guys, just upgraded to Kubuntu from Ubuntu, and am wanting to use Thunderbird as my mail client importing email from my Hotmail account. Am using recommended server settings but it still won't work any advice would be gratefully received. Oooh before I forget, tried getting the web extension and it wouldnt allow or install?

[censored violation of word usages on this forum]

Re: importing hotmail into thunderbird

dont use thunderbird or hotmail.......but I know that hotmail has to suport you using POP or IMAP
    if it's going to work at all ..........yahoo dos not unless you have a premeum acct. gmail DOSE

when you sead

Am using recommended server settings but it still won't work
    I'm asuming you mean recommended by hotmail...so go back and read the setings for hotmail agin
    and make shure it's all done as spesafyied including what kind of encription (SSL)

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Installing webmail (or any extension) with TB:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=53267

Enjoy and welcome to the party
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The Webmail extension is no longer required for Hotmail. Some time earlier this year they made POP3 available to free accounts as well. Thunderbird's POP-settings should be something like:

Server name: pop3.live.com
          Port: 995
          User name: username@hotmail.com
          Security settings: SSL

Are these the settings you used? What kind of error message are you getting (if any)?

Comment

Hotmail is/was? not providing POP3 server address which makes/made? it difficult to do it compared to other webmails. I haven't tried grizzler settings because it was some months ago.

However this works with KMail, so probably with Thunderbird: (to download at least)
            You have to use FreePOPS. with #sudo aptitude, install FreePOPs, the LUA library and the graphical updater (you may not need the updater). www.freepops.org

NB: Kmail store emails with format '.mbox', like Thunderbird and Seamonkey. That ensures your emails are stored in a standardised way.

In Kmail, create an account :
            #account name = username = email address including the domain name ; same password as your hotmail password.
            #store your password where you want - config file or KWallet
            # set those options : don't use SSL ; server = localhost ; port = 2000
            # you can use the option 'leave received messages on server', if you want to keep them on both.

The emails arrive to home/XXXX/.kde (hidden directory)/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/cur

**NB**to redirect straight to some folders (supposing your use redirection rules in hotmail and you want new emails in hotmail folders to arrive to the corresponding folders), you need to pass parameters as options of the plugin hotmail.lua. To do so, just change the username of the account :
            user@hotmail.com?folder=Folder+Name&keepmsgstatus=1
            - case sensitive
            - replace the spaces of your hotmail folders by '+' : My Folder -> My+Folder
            - doesn't work with Chinese caracters
            - keepmsgstatus keeps emails in the read/unread state as they are on the server
            The painful thing is that to receive all emails that are redirected on your hotmail account to folders, you need to create an account per folder. It takes a long time, but you do it only once !

I did this only to backup my emails, I have't tried to send using this, but it seems made for.
            Good luck
            Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Originally posted by kln
              You have to use FreePOPS.
              Installing FreePOPs really is a bit over the top if you just want to retrieve your Hotmail messages. As I wrote earlier, direct connections to the POP3 server should work just as well.

Actually, as the OP hasn't responded anymore, I assume he has either lost interest or has his setup working now.

Comment

Working...
              X