X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low resolution in kubuntu 9.04

hi!

i've been using ubuntu for a while, but decided to try out kubuntu because i really love the kde environment.
    however, the screen resolution doesn't seem to go higher than 1360x768. i'm running it on a 27" samsung lcd tv and i've never had any problems on other systems. does anyone know what to do??

there seems to be a lot of other xorg-files named i.e xorg.conf.29374658493 in the x11 folder
    here is the xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
    # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
    # here are ignored.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "True"
    EndSection

thanks in advance
    macj

INTEL CPU CORE 2 DUO E63OO
    2 GB DDR RAM
    ATI RADEON RX1600PRO
    160 GB 7200RPM

Re: low resolution in kubuntu 9.04

Try this :--

ATI Catalyst™ Display Driver

Comment

If any of those numerous xorg.conf files dates back to when your display looked the way you wanted, just rename that to xorg.conf and go with that.

Comment

hi!

thanks simonyee. i downloaded the file from ati's website, but found it really difficult to run the file. kubuntu won't open the file, and i don't really understand the directions given on the site. hoping there might be another way or someone else who has experienced the same.

thanks askrieger. all the other xorg.conf files look exactly the same as the one mentioned. the fact is that the screen resolution has never worked properly.

cheers
        macj

Comment

Well, reviewing the Installer instructions for the driver at the linked site simonyee provided, the first thing I see is:

Operating Systems Distributions Supported
          The latest version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the
          following Linux distributions:
          • Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite
          • Novell/SuSE product suite
          That of course, would be a concern to me, as Ubuntu isn't an identified supported OS. Maybe others more familiar with ATI and their drivers can provide better insight on this.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If it is for Redhat Linux, the file is an .rpm, and you'll have to use the alien package to convert it to a .deb.

Comment

If you are unfamilier with alien, the main web site is here.

alien can be installed from the CLI (console). As it requires that several other packages also be installed on the system, run the following command from a console:

Code:
              sudo apt-get install alien dpkg dpkg-dev debhelper gcc make
              Any of the packages after alien that are already installed, and up to date, won't be installed. If they aren't, they will be installed as well.

Converting .rpm packages into .deb packages isn't a gaurantee that the resulting .deb package will install successfully.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hi! thanks again for the quick reply.

snowhog: if you have a look at the far top of page 2 it says
                • Ubuntu
                which i think "belongs" to the other two on the previous page. (if you see what i mean??)

anyways, i still can't make kubuntu to work. after trying out various hints and tricks from the internet i've only "managed" to completely freeze the computer a couple of times. re-installing for the third time now wondering if it's even possible to install it on this particular computer...?!

cheers
                macj.

Comment

I do believe that envyng will install and build kernel modules for ATI drivers as well as Nvidia. From their website:

"Envy" is an application for Ubuntu Linux and Debian written in Python and PyGTK which will:
                  1) detect the model of your graphic card (only ATI and Nvidia cards are supported) and install the appropriate driver. However automatic detection can be overridden with the "Manual installation"
                  2) install the right driver for your card and all the required dependencies
                  3) configure the Xserver for you

Envy features both a GUI (which you can launch only inside a Desktop Environment) and a textual interface which you can use if, for example, you cannot start the Xserver.
                  I have never used an ATI card under linux but it works great with my Nvidia cards on 3 machines. Even using the new 190 beta drivers all goes good.

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
                  After it is installed you need to run
                  Code:
                  envyng -k
                  for the kde interface or
                  Code:
                  envyng -t
                  for the command line. Hope that does what you need. Maybe an ATI user can chime in on this here?

namopereht

Comment

I had good luck installing ATi drivers for my HD3650 from these instructions: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
                    # make install --not-war

Comment

you could use vesa graphics driver

Comment

hi!

thanks namopereht,
                        after i have run the installer it looks like both the monitor and the graphics card isn't recognized by kubuntu at all.
                        i then did as you said, installed envy and the right driver. after the restart the screen froze again.

i read something about ati radeon x1600 not being compatible with jaunty 9.04, so that might be the case. maybe i have to buy me a new graphics card? however, i tried to install kubuntu 8.10 last night and the same happened. the funny thing is that there doesn't seem to be any problems whatsoever installing any version of ubuntu (9.04, 8.10 or 8.04), BUT kubuntu is giving me a hard time...

any last suggestions??

cheers
                        macj.

where can i get the vesa driver btw??
                        and is there any way of choosing which open-source driver to install??

Comment

a funny thing i forgot to mention:

the first time i ran kubuntu was as guest os through virtualbox in ubuntu jaunty.
                          everything looked fine, it detected graphics card and monitor. problem-free.
                          hmm. strange...

macJ.

Comment

Originally posted by macjorgen
                            a funny thing i forgot to mention:

the first time i ran kubuntu was as guest os through virtualbox in ubuntu jaunty.
                            everything looked fine, it detected graphics card and monitor. problem-free.
                            hmm. strange...

macJ.
                            Because VM configures it's "virtual" graphics card so that it'll be like yours.
                            <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

Working...
                            X