This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannot get LiveCD to go past first screen. [C]

Thanks for the info. If this download fails (3rd try tonight) I will try downloading it. I really just want a good look at Kubuntu before I do a 'real' install.

A side questions here. There are a couple of gadgets in Vista that I have found to be quite handy. They are in the Windows Sidebar (which is handy too) CPU usage and Network monitors and a XM radio player. Do you think there is anything in the Linux world like them? I have only been using Vista a few months so the 'new toy' feel is still greater than the 'Microsoft torment'. lol

Thanks

Comment

Each Vista item you've asked about has it's counterpart in Kubuntu running KDE 4.3, which the version of Kubuntu you are attempting to get a good LiveCD for, uses.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Great!
        I post when (not if) I get the LiveCD running.
        Thanks

Comment

OK, this is weird. I downloaded a fresh image of Kubuntu and burned it to a new CDR. I did use a different image copier, but not sure that made any difference. The checksum from the downloaded file matched the one listed on HowToMd5Sum. The md5sum.txt file on the CDR was different from the .ISO file, but it did match what I got last time.

So basically everything was the same as when I first tried to run the LiveCD.

This morning I reboot my laptop, forgetting the new CD is in the drive. I get called away before Windows even shuts down. When I get back I have Kubuntu up and running. Maybe if I hadn't babysat the early attempts it might have worked then too.

Right off I noticed that my WIFI did not connect so now I have to find the fix for that.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Wireless is a eternal topic here. Most people get it to work, eventually. Search the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SueM
              Right off I noticed that my WIFI did not connect so now I have to find the fix for that.
              Was this after you tried a connection, or did it fail to just connect automatically?

If the latter, and you have an essid, type and password, those have to be set before a connection is attempted. No wireless manager will connect to a secured wireless router without the correct info.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Was this after you tried a connection, or did it fail to just connect automatically?

If the latter, and you have an essid, type and password, those have to be set before a connection is attempted. No wireless manager will connect to a secured wireless router without the correct info.
                It was the later, but the WIFI is not secured. We live out in the boonies. For someone to pick up the signal they would be trespassing.

I have a bit of research to do before I really call this a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SueM
                  OK, The checksums are different.
                  ISO = 537a22de1342d5671b7e0070f66a6076 - match
                  CDR = 26951222114d70961c20cb76822fcea9 - no match

I downloaded kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso and used ISO Recorder to burn the CD. Before I burn it again is there anything I need to check or change?
                  The method given in the previous post for checking the md5sum of a CD is incorrect. Taking it that way will always include the padding bits that are added to the CD when it is closed. (md5sum /dev/cdrom). That method also requires that you mount the CD first. There is an easier way, and it also does not depend on the presences of an md5sum.txt file.
                  It is described here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3106270.msg195232#msg195232
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X