Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to see the programs and how firefox could open the files from the down windo

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to see the programs and how firefox could open the files from the down windo

hi,
    i am using kubuntu, and i have updated it yestarday(to the newest version) ,
    and i wolud like to know where are the programs installed in the kubuntu??
    i would like to see them like i see them in the windows xp,
    and one more thing,
    when i download an pdf file, i cant open it right from the donload window, so what i need to do to make it possible to open right from that window

i thank you in advance

Re: how to see the programs and how firefox could open the files from the down windo

Sorry, but linux firefox is stupid. It does not understand what type of file you download. Therefore you can't open it from your downloads window, sorry.
    <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

Re: how to see the programs and how firefox could open the files from the down windo

i would like to see them like i see them in the windows xp,
      Some of us here haven't used windoze in years. Please describe how you see programs in XP. Are you looking for the program launcher? It's the big K in the corner of the panel. Are you asking where executables are stored? Almost always, in directories called */bin/ e.g. /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin. You can even set up your own /home/electropc/bin to hold the programs you write yourself that aren't ready for /usr/local/bin.

Comment

when i download an pdf file, i cant open it right from the donload window
        I don't understand. When I download a pdf file using firefox then I see in the download window options save which is default and open. When I click open I immediately see pdf file opened in Ocular. The difference against Windows - Ocular is not inside browser window like Acrobat Reader is.

i would like to know where are the programs installed in the kubuntu??
        You are interested to see icons? You can find them clicking on K icon in the left corner of desktop and move them to desktop like in Windows. But there are more and better ways. If you are interested to see files like in Program Files, there are more places where they are here.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

very well
          i was expecting right this answer
          but relatively to question:
          1) i saw in a bibliotheque the browser was opening the pdf files and doc files, .. right from the download windows of the firefox.

2) i have looked in the bin folder and for example i have not found the firefox.
          so where is it

Comment

In Dolphin choose red root in the panel and then menu option Find File, write firefox and you will see that it is spread elsewhere.
            Correction: write *firefox*

Comment

where is it
              /usr/bin/firefox, which is actually a script that launches Firefox.

BUT, YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW THAT!!! In KDE, left click on the "K" at the left end of the bottom panel (just like windoze) then, (if you are using Jaunty) just type the word "firefox" in the little white search box at the top of the menu, BUT you can also find it by clicking on "Applications > Internet"

Comment

Something more.
                If you want to find a list of all files of an installed program at one place, then it is in Synaptic, right click on a package, choose Properties, choose tab Installed files.
                I doubt we have different behaviour of Firefox, if we have the same program. Mine is
                Kubuntu 9.04, Kde 4.2.2, Firefox 3.0.13 for Ubuntu Canonical 1.0, installed from repository.

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
                  Mine is
                  Kubuntu 9.04, Kde 4.2.2, Firefox 3.0.13 for Ubuntu Canonical 1.0, installed from repository.
                  i am also using the version 3.o.13 kubuntu 9.04 ( the latest ) but the other things i dont know hot te see,
                  but are u able to open the files right from the download window of the firefox??
                  i can also open pdf files with okular, but why i cant do it from firefox download window?

Comment

other things i don't know how to see
                    Main question is if you first downloaded file to install it or if you installed Firefox using some program from Kubuntu like KPackageKit or a shell command. For the text Canonical 1.0 look at the Firefox menu - help option about. Programs installed from repository (the second way) are usually better connected to operating system. This can be the reason but I am not sure.

are u able to open the files right from the download window of the firefox??
                    Are you looking for this window? - there is an option to open file with okular in it - see attachment
                    Attached Files

Comment

hi,
                      the info about my kbuntu is ::
                      Linux haiduc 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686GNU/Linux

one thing i dont anderstand here , which is the kernel version

about opening the files i was talking about the window, that is located in the firefox at the tools---downloads.

and one more thing, in the synaptic i saw that i have the kgrubeditor installed in my computer, but in the big K ( how formally it is called ) i canot find this program, so where i could find this program to execute it??

Comment

Originally posted by electropc
                        and one more thing, in the synaptic i saw that i have the kgrubeditor installed in my computer, but in the big K ( how formally it is called ) i canot find this program, so where i could find this program to execute it??
                        System Settings -> Advanced -> GRUB Editor

Comment

which is the kernel version?
                          Very easy
                          2.6.28-15-generic
                          the big K ( how formally it is called )
                          If you hold your cursor over the big K you will see (at least in the English language version)
                          Kickoff Application Launcher
                          If knowing the English language names for things is your worst problem, you are very close to being a Linux expert!

Comment

about opening the files i was talking about the window, that is located in the firefox at the tools---downloads.
                            I think the window I offered you is a faster way to open the file. Openning files in the download window woks fine on my computer too. First time it is necessary to find the program for filetype, for example for PDF it is /usr/bin/okular and assign it to PDF for ever. The method is the same as in Windows when you try to open file with filetype not assigned to some program.
                            Next time you just doubleclick a PDF file in the download window and it opens in okular.

Comment

one more thing

when i try to search by username in the link::
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...action=search2

i cant get any result. why it happens??

and one more thing:
                              which is the purpose of the gfxmenu file, in the grub editor--options--background.

Comment

Working...
                              X