Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

run atp-setup in kubuntu (Problem Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

run atp-setup in kubuntu (Problem Solved)

I am a newbie please help. when I run update in kubuntu from the desktop I get this message:

The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

This would be ok if I knew how to do what this message is telling me to do. Can someone help me?

my email address is clyde9@juno.com

Re: run atp-setup in kubuntu

Open a terminal - open "System" on your menu and then "Konsole"

Apt-get will only run from root.

Type into Konsole "sudo apt-get update" (- miss out the quote marks!)

It should first ask you to type your password and then run.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

when I enter sudo apt-get update the response is as follows.

root@kubuntu:~# sudo apt-get update
      E: Type ‘http://rpm.rutgers.edu/repository/ub...realplayer/’ is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
      root@kubuntu:~#

before this happend I had attempted to install realplayer, is this why this is happening? I am not sure how to fix it. I guess that i am as new as a newbie gets.

Comment

What it is saying is that it can't find the particular repository.

General advice: read the "sticky" at the top of the "Help the new guy" at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3228.0

Apt is not the easiest package manager. Kubuntu comes with Adept - which is only marginally better. The best is Synaptic which needs to be downloaded.

There are Scripts for downloading a whole bunch of stuff - Flash, Java, Acrobat. Such Scripts are Automatix or Easyubuntu.

Keep posting any problems. People are here to help.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi, Clyde999.
          You could start here:

http://krazypenguin.net/Ubuntu_Dapper_Drake_6.06_Guide
          Nevermore! Nevermore! - E. A. Poe

Comment

This is all nice advice, and I seem to be learning what is wrong, but I am still confused as to how I am going to fix my existing problem.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by clyde9999
              before this happend I had attempted to install realplayer, is this why this is happening?
              Most likely, looks like there is a borked repository source line in your sources.list.

(/etc/apt/sources.list is a file that tells your package manager where to find software packages)

To correct the problem:
              1. open the sources.list for editing:
              Code:
              kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
              (the command opens up the file in 'kate' editor with root privileges so you can save the file)
              2. Delete or comment out (add a '#' in front of the line) the line referring to 'rpm.rutgers.edu' mentioned in the error message (should be line 1):
              3. Save
              4. Try 'sudo apt-get update' again

Comment

Thank you very much kubicle You have made my day!!

Comment

Working...
                X