This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Kubuntu 9.04 on 2nd drive, now 1st drive maybe a little messed up

1st time poster. I don't know what possessed me to install on a slave drive other than I didn't want to screw up a working machine (Win XP) but now I have some problems. The installer saw the 2nd drive so I clicked the bullet for it. Both systems will come up.
    BUT... Now I can't remove the 2nd drive from my machine. (Sorry, can't remember what it freeked out about) I think it must of put something on my Windows drive. Also there is a little boot menu with only 10 seconds to interrupt to choose another op sys (ie. Win XP)
    Questions: Can I uninstall 9.04 and put Win XP back the way it was? (And of course try to install Kubuntu again later)? Can I get rid of that boot menu?
    Thinking the boot menu was here to stay I tried to research your posts and came up with file "///boot/grub/menu.lst" and saw 3 kubuntu systems, a comment, then Windows XP Media Center, then a couple more Win choices. I want Win XP MCE to be the default but when I made my changes and attempted to file it, it said that blah blah blah, can't file it, you probably do not have sufficient privileges. So then I researched some more and I see something about sudo and sudo passwd and I made no headway there. Help. I am extremely new at this. If I can't uninstall, at least changing the boot up menu
    to make Win XP the default op system would help. Thanks.

Re: Installed Kubuntu 9.04 on 2nd drive, now 1st drive maybe a little messed up

The Kubuntu boot loader, Grub, overwrote the Windows boo tloader on your first drive (the MBR of the Windows drive). To "fix" your Windows MBR, you need to run your Windows CD.

As for setting up a dual boot with XP and Kubuntu, your issues and options are:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    SECTION 5: Dual-booting
    Installing two or more Linux operating systems; > RECOMMENDED method
    > Problems – messing up the booting => fixing it

SECTION 6: Windows topics
    --- Vista, dual-booting with XP and/or Kubuntu/Linux, see this definitive guide:
    http://apcmag.com/dualboot
    --- XP
    Installing XP & Kubuntu: How to set up dual booting
    Re-installed XP and now can't boot Kubuntu
    When XP is on a non-first hard drive
    --- Special Situations
    -- How to avoid installing GRUB to the MBR of your Windows XP drive
    -- Two drives, a Windows drive and a Kubuntu drive, GRUB is in the Windows MBR,
    but sometimes you must remove the Kubuntu drive
    and Windows won’t boot when you do.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X