This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how ark works

when i use ark all i find are a bunch of texts and unexecutables what do i do after extraction

Re: how ark works

Depends on the package you decompressed. What was it?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

well nothing right now that didnt work but koffice for one i know its bad now but just as an example

Comment

Ark is a arciver like winrar.........it's used to compress or decompress file's

type
        Code:
        man ark
        in a terminal and read.

it sounds like your trying to install Koffice.........and your trying to do it with a sorce tarball..........I would strongley advise you NOT to try that.............aspesheley sence you dont know what ark is or dose................if you use your package manager you will find Koffice and SHULDE install frome thare.

your package manager has thousands of apps. for you to chose from that are built just for your system.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by eaterjolly
          well nothing right now that didnt work but koffice for one i know its bad now but just as an example
          Ah! You are confused as to the purpose of Ark. It is NOT to install files. It merely unzips or untars compressed files. What one does after the files are compressed depends on what the compressed files were. Not all tar packages contain installable programs, which is what I believe you were trying to do.

If you want to install KOffice then use Synaptic (if it is not installed use KPackageKit to install it) to access the repository, search for koffice, right click on the box in front of the name, and chose "Install". Then click the green checkmark ("Apply") and follow through with the dialogs that appear.

Right now, at your level of Linux familiarity, you should NOT be trying to install applications from downloaded tar files or even Debian packages. Stick with the repository. It has over 28,000 applications and most likely includes everything you need. MORE IMPORTANTLY, the files it includes are custom made for your Kubuntu installation. When you bring in foreign apps (not in the repository) you risk corrupting your installation and you make it difficult for folks on this forum to give you appropriate help, as you witnessed by the responses. Your first post never mentioned that you were trying to install an application, so I couldn't recommend anything until I learned what you were trying to uncompress. Hence my question.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X