This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRRR... bridging troubles...

ok... I'm not that new to linux, but I am new to Kubuntu, so I think that counts.

anyways, I was hoping to finally solve this problem which I have been having while trying to bridge my wireless connection (ra0) with my ehternet (eth0)

so here's the situation- I usually use Windows to bridge those two connections so as to allow my Xbox 360 to connect to LIVE, but I would rather use Kubuntu (who wouldn't?). But all the methods that I searched for have not worked for me; my XBOX never connects to the internet with Linux. so what is the easiest method to bridge these two connections. Btw, I don't think my 360 can get a IP address when I try to use bridge-utils, but I'm not sure how to use it. so any help would be appreciated.

Re: GRRR... bridging troubles...

What wireless device are you using? I haven't been able to get my Ralink
    RT2860pci wireless network device working with networks protected by WPA2-PSK,
    although it will work on open and WEP-protected networks. Hopefully the
    latest rt2x00 will fix this - see http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...26e0cfd2662197. Try switching your wireless network
    to WEP encryption.

I have no experience with bridging under Linux myself, but this guy seems to
    have got it working with his Xbox. You may need this guide to using WDS under
    Linux, though it's somewhat outdated - maybe check online to see if there's
    anything more up-to-date:

http://www.tummy.com/journals/entrie...0041220_000528

Good luck!
    Nathan

Comment

hey thanks. I'm busy so I'll have to read that link later. i have a ralink RT2860 actually, so would that have the same problem as what u are having? btw, how do I make the link work for that fix for the card?

Comment

I'm not sure how to install the new drivers. There's probably a guide somewhere on the Internet for it, but it could be a lot of work, so check whether you can get the current drivers to work without any encryption first, to make sure that this is definitely the problem!

The new drivers will make their way into the kernel at some point, so hopefully with Kubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 or it should all work out of the box.

Nathan

Comment

ok, thanks! so I just disable my WEP security once while trying to bridge then?

Comment

Yes, try it and see what happens.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
            X