This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick of Windows

Hello, I am new to kubuntu and have it on my Netbook and like it so much that I want it on my primary laptop that I use for school. The problem is at the University everything is Windows and when I am given assignments sometimes they have specific fonts requested. I would like to know if there is any way to get the same fonts from windows to linux and if you can switch the documents from openoffice to microsoft office and vice versa without much trouble. Please help Im tired of spending hundreds of dollars a year on software and the annoying little glitches on windows.

Re: Sick of Windows

On the same page as yours there is another thread with a very similar problem, look at it http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105957.0
    if you can switch the documents from openoffice to microsoft office and vice versa without much trouble
    It depends. If documents are simple, it is possible without problems. If documents are more complicated, then you may have some troubles. If you have documents divided into sections with different formatting, it is better to write them in internal format of Open Office Writer ODT and export to PDF, when you use DOC format in OO Writer you loose all section formatting while saving.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

i believe you can download and install the microsoft fonts from the repositries. If you can't find them post again and i'll look where they are on my machine.

I've never had any problems converting anything from open office to the microsoft office equivalent, just choose save as .doc .xls .ppt etc

the only problem you might come across is the new .docx format for the latest ms office applications but i believe there is a converter available for this newer format so you should still be able to either save or open these files with a little extra tinkering.

Chris

Comment

You can do as Chris suggests or if you elect to dual boot (which most newcomers to linux seem to do) you can go to system settings/font installer and simply import the fonts from the c:\windows\font directory, you then have the lot available.

For info on Office 2007 files with Openoffice take a look here

http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator

Hth

Ian

Comment

Windows Vista fonts in Ubuntu - http://embraceubuntu.com/2007/09/16/...nts-in-ubuntu/
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I believe that "sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts" will take care of the fonts for you. As for interacting with word, I'm not so sure. I have neighbours who only use/know MS-XP and they couldn't read an open office file I sent them recently. I think the text works fine but they can't read .jpg inserts in a .doc file generated by open office. My thoughts are that you need to make some tests for your particular compatibility needs.

Comment

This is a common issue- when documents produced in OOo don't render right the assumption is always that it's OOos fault.

To avoid any problems it may be worthwhile downloading the Microsoft Word viewer from here.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I can personally confirm that so long as you have wine installed it will install and run fine within 'buntu. Alternatively, it may be that your Uni's MSO has odf support - it is worth asking.

HTH

Comment

how lame
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                  how lame
                  Yes I agree, and it's sad to have to be that way. However, I have for several years now been using OpenOffice within an MS Office environment, and have been fortunate enough to be in a senior position such as the IT people have tolerated it, so long as I don't mess up documents. As a result, I probably produce the best-formatted documents in my firm and because I am paranoid about it, my MS Office using staff don't have any problems. Even so, from time to time I check how they will look in Word as if something goes wrong they will assume it's their nutty OOo-using boss that has done it, but without any consequences because of my seniority.

The OP is I think in a different position. (s)he will be a fresher in a university, which is dictating the use of certain fonts, and probably layouts too. Assuming (s)he may have to submit documents electronically ( presumably in Word format- so the lecturer can open them) (s)he will need to ensure that they open correctly as if they don't it will cost marks. If, however, all submissions are to be in hard copy or they can be submitted in pdf (IMHO far preferable anyway) then who cares how it will look in Word . If that's the case then get the fonts by all means and stick with ODF.

Comment

Working...
                  X